• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hitch height?

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Should the trailer be absolutely level when towing? I've always liked the nose a little higher so water can drain easier, but I'm having a seriously hard time getting the 212x on and off the trailer. I think the hitch is too high due to the truck tires and leveling kit. Anyone got any guidance to offer?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Back in further?

I typically stop when the trailer fenders are just under the water.

When launching @Rana and the kids board the boat. I back down the ramp until the boat starts to float then I tap the brakes and let the boat float off.

When loading @Rana drives the boat onto the trailer. Either I winch the last couple of feet forward or she gives it a little throttle while I am winching.

What truck do you have? I believe the leveling kit only effects the front end.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Usually, if you lift the truck, you have to lower the hitch. From what I have read over and over again, you want about 8-10% of the total wheight of the boat/triler/gas/misc equip on the tongue of the trailer. You can accomplish this by either moving the axles of the boat back and forth, or raising/lowering the tongue. But you don't want the tongue to go lower than 18" from the ground. I hope that helps.

Like @Bruce said, if you only added a front spacer, you shouldn't have any issues unless you added tires. If you added tires and a rear spacer, my guess is a minimum of 2" were gained of hight of the hitch reciever.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My understanding has always been that the trailer should be level as possible to ensure the hitch and ball remain properly connected plus being level will properly distribute the weight on the axle(s) assuming the weight is properly places on the trailer. Like @ScarabMike mentioned about 10% of load weight should be on the tongue. I agree with @Bruce it you are having trouble getting the boat on and off the trailer back the trailer farther into the water until the fenders are just under water.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Chevy Avalanche 2500 with pretty big tires and 2" kit on the front. The problem seems to be that the boat hangs up on the front bunks. I'm already underwater with the fenders. Going deeper gets the bow roller on top of the nose of the boat which makes me think the trailer should level instead of the slight incline I have it at with the hitch where it is.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@smthng --

What kind of drop are you running on your drawbar/hitch now?

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@smthng --

What kind of drop are you running on your drawbar/hitch now?
It's totally adjustable... right now it's probably the equivalent of about a 2 inch drop. Without the boat on it, the front trailer wheels are just kind of skipping across the ground, barely touching. With the boat, the trailer frame is probably three inches higher at the tongue than at the rear axle.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's totally adjustable... right now it's probably the equivalent of about a 2 inch drop. Without the boat on it, the front trailer wheels are just kind of skipping across the ground, barely touching. With the boat, the trailer frame is probably three inches higher at the tongue than at the rear axle.
You definitely need a drop hitch to level the trailer.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Seems like your trailer tongue is to high to me. With your setup when you are trailering your boat the majority of the weight is on the rear axle instead of balance load on both axles. Look at @jaws16 signature picture his trailer tongue is at the right height.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure on the 2500, but typical GM pickup/ute drop to these trailers is about 3", I believe. Reese makes an all-in-one, ready to go draw bar with ball that is a 3 1/4 drop.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Most stock pickups and SUVs actually need a slight rise. I use a 3/4 rise which is a 2" drop turned over. You definitely need a drop hitch based on your situation. Don't forget that your vehicle will compress slightly as the weight is added. Reese makes several different variants on hitches. Something along the lines of this is what you need...

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/reese-towpower-class-iii-iv-ball-mount-bar/pid-522167?N=547047731+4294967067

Depending on actually distance. You basically want to put a level on your trailer tongue and have it leveled out when connected to the truck.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Depending on actually distance. You basically want to put a level on your trailer tongue and have it leveled out when connected to the truck.
That's pretty much what I wanted to know. Thanks!

The 2500 is a beast... it got a 12000 lb hitch built in. It doesn't really "settle" when the boat is attached. Of course, all that comes at a price at the pump... but I didn't really buy a boat to be "efficient". :)

dbrock34

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm trying to figure out the correct height as well. I've got a Ram 1500 with a 1.75 inch spacer in the rear with a 2 inch drop hitch. I still figured I'd be too high because the truck sits so much higher than the Chevy I used to tow with. But the few times I've hooked up to the trailer it seems like the trailer tongue is too low and my rear end sags quite a bit. It looks like the trailer angles down towards the front and puts most of the weight on the front trailer tire. I went out and bought a new two inch and turned it over so it's 3/4 rise now. When I tried to hook up to the trailer it looked level but my hitch is too high to fit under the tongue now with trailer cranked all the way up. Are my eyes bad or does the 242 trailer just look unlevel?
20150328_102943.jpg

DonWon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Silicone spray the bunks.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The trailer frame rails need to be parallel to the ground front to back. That puts equal weight on the two axles. You can set that height with the trailer jack, back up to the tongue with the tow vehicle, and measure the difference to get the correct hitch height. If you have much drop due to tongue weight, measure that drop when you put the boat on the hitch and take that drop into account as well. Level towing will produce the best of all worlds...tire wear, safety, mpg, sway, launch angle, recover, and visibility.

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I have a 6 inch lifted 2010 gmc sierra 1500 on 35 inch tires. Am am picking my new 2015 sx192 boat in a week......what do I really need?

Help please...

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Irvs Thats a nice lift and tires, I would suggest getting an adjustable hitch bar with a 2" ball. They sell them at Walmart fairly cheap. This way you can adjust, and not have to buy several bars going forward as you modify, or change your tow vehicle. I use this with mine. Also, if you dont have a 5 prong plug for the lights/brake release, buy one there as well.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towpower-Adjustable-Hitch-Bar/15125805

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@Irvs Thats a nice lift and tires, I would suggest getting an adjustable hitch bar with a 2" ball. They sell them at Walmart fairly cheap. This way you can adjust, and not have to buy several bars going forward as you modify, or change your tow vehicle. I use this with mine. Also, if you dont have a 5 prong plug for the lights/brake release, buy one there as well.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towpower-Adjustable-Hitch-Bar/15125805
Thanks scarabmike! I've never towed anything with 14335117013261332726401.jpg this truck haha. Just dirtbikes loaded in the back.

I've no idea of the plug I have on the truck; however attached is a pic.