• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Horse power

Dwayne Henderson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I’m thinking of upgrading from my 195 to the 210. My concern is with the smaller motors in the new to 210, I’m not gaining much in overall horse power. If the 1.8L is producing around 180 hp that is just under 10 hp per foot. If the 1.1 L is producing 110 hp, then the 210 is really only producing 10 hp per foot. I feel my 195 is underpowered with six people in it. Will the 210 be underpowered as well? Does anyone have experience going from the 195 to the 210?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have never had either of those boats but from others that have they mentioned the twin engine set up makes a world of difference.... something about spliting the loading between two impellers having an effect in the orbital rotaion of mars with refracting swamp gas above big foot... i may have that wrong.... go to a 24 footer and then u will be done!!

Ehren

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have never had either of those boats but from others that have they mentioned the twin engine set up makes a world of difference.... something about spliting the loading between two impellers having an effect in the orbital rotaion of mars with refracting swamp gas above big foot... i may have that wrong.... go to a 24 footer and then u will be done!!
Wondering if Yamaha will produce a 24' FSH model next year to catch up with Scarab's 2018 25' Open Fish model...

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you want a real/noticeable power increase I think it’s all about the 212 the older ones have the 160 hp 1,052 cc mr1s and the newer ones have the na 180 hp? 1,812 cc engines.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Dwayne Henderson What @bronze_10 said! He is getting technical here, but the bottom line is once you are hauling 6+ people on a regular basis a twin would be the way to go. I am a huge fun of 195s and may one day get one, but those are not meant to haul large families. They can be made to reach top speeds approaching 60mph (see @SamCF mods) but will lack out of the hole thrust push of a twin.

A lot depends on budget considerations of course. The new 212s with twin 1.8s are notoriously overpriced, IMO. But they are nice and they retain value - sell for more than many used 240s.

An older MR-1HO twin (230 or 212) are great boats. The newer 210s with twin TR-1s are great boats, too. Even the older non-HO MR-1s haul a$$, there is a guy on my river who brings his extended family every JUly the 4th, I think they had 16 peeps one year - I can tell you they have a blast. These non-MR-1 twins are not fast, but they are quick, and they have a very good hole shot if you take care of the pump.TR-1s seem to be even better.

--

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
trying to understand HP vs. pump size vs. boat length vs. ambient temp vs. top speed vs. hole shot is like trying to understand mars' orbital rotation vs. Big foots swamp gas.

It's good to ask and I would tell you the 210 is going to feel like more than double the power but the best thing for you to do is find a dealer or member close by and take a ride and see for yourself, all the math doesn't matter if your butt is telling you something different.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My 210 FSH does 45MPH with 5 people on board. It gets on plane instantly.

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That is the plus with the twin setup. Added weight has less effect on boats ability to maintain speed .

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looked at a 255 in Detroit last weekend. Didn't do anything for me. Had a few cool features but had more things I didn't care for. But just me.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
To flip that coin, I've been on both, and if it's in the budget, 255 open all day long. Lightyears ahead of the 210 in almost every facet. It's taking some serious willpower for me not to buy one right now.

Mursenary

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m thinking of upgrading from my 195 to the 210. My concern is with the smaller motors in the new to 210, I’m not gaining much in overall horse power. If the 1.8L is producing around 180 hp that is just under 10 hp per foot. If the 1.1 L is producing 110 hp, then the 210 is really only producing 10 hp per foot. I feel my 195 is underpowered with six people in it. Will the 210 be underpowered as well? Does anyone have experience going from the 195 to the 210?
If you have a "195", that is the supercharged 1.8L motor correct? If so, it is more like 230hp. I have a 2013 192, which is supercharged (Yamaha changed the number from 192 to 195 in like 2016 I believe it was) and have never felt like it was underpowered with 6 people on board. These 19 foot boats weigh approx. 2000-2200 lbs. dry. The 21 footers weigh approx. 3000 lbs., so that's something to consider.

I trailed the new FSH 210 the weekend before last, and felt it had plenty of power. Got up on plane fast, which is typical of these jetboats, and got it up to 49mph with me and the sales guy, on glass water. But I have to say that my 192 feels every bit as quick and powerful , if not more so. I personally wouldn't feel like the 210 is underpowered, but it's not going to be a rocket with 6 or more adults aboard. Of course if you need the extra room, you have to go with the 21 footer...