• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HOTTT trailer brakes

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So my brake calipers are hot in our short drive like you can smell them and not touch the rims. Do you think bleeding the brakes will do it or should I upgrade and get the new aluminum ones since I'm a saltwater guy. I believe the calipers are stock from when I bought the boat a few months ago and the trailer wasn't used much at all. Should I just swap all the brake fluid and bleed? What is everyone expert opinion?

mb300sd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you sure they're not dragging? I'd jack up the wheel and see if it turns freely.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They take some force to turn, I already tried to push the calipers back in and reinstalled back into place I haven't tried to bleed them yet. They are kinda rusted though.

mb300sd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure what kind of calipers are on these stock - mine came with the mounting flanges rusted off and I went electric when replacing. Either they have 2 pistons and 1 is probably stuck, or the caliper rides on a slide that is frozen.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ya one piston on inside of caliper. Not the best design either but easy enough to change out. No slide pins or anything really to clean lubricate it looks like. Just the piston and dust cap. So at 67 per aluminum upgrade with shoes and hardware included I may go that way regardless. How much was your electric upgrade? If you don't mind me asking.

mb300sd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it only has 1 piston, I'm pretty sure it has to have a way to slide so that the rotor is centered between the pads.

I had to replace the whole axle since the brake mounting flange was rusted off - seemed like the only part that wasn't galvanized, the rest is rust free. I think it was around $250 for everything. It looks like the brake assemblies are $30 and drums are around $50. I already had a brake controller and it would have been much more to fix the hydraulic system since the master cylinder was full of salt water too.

Anyone need a perfectly good non-braking axle?

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Now I'm thinking there were two Allen head slide pins to disassemble. Oops. I may try to clean and bleed tomorrow and see what happens.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If they are rusted and I would just go ahead and replace them or you will just be doing this again down the road. I had a shop do mine this year and replace all four hubs and break lines and the cost was $600 so it should not be too expensive if you were to do it yourself

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have checked all wheels. Spin freely no real play on them. Rotors are not pitted warped or cracked. No real marks or wear so I think I will be good with just calipers.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an MFI trailer as well I will try and see what part the used tomorrow.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length