• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

hour meter, analog, connection point?

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My boat has the yamaha digital meter that simply wraps around the spark plug on one of the engines...Works great...as long as you remember to re-install the wire after a plug change.

As a result I'm a good 25 hours off of where it was last.

I found an old analog hour meter I was going to use as a replacement on a previous boat. Is there a (convenient) connection point within the engine bay or dash area to pick up a "engine on" power feed?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q20UXK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@justason. If you are looking to bring your digital inductive meter up to date you can just wrap it around a plug wire in your car until you get the 25 hours you need. Otherwise you can plug your old meter in at the power connection of your tach behind the helm.

Thanks @Gym Catching up the hours wouldn't be too bad, but I've never been crazy about that interface however...and would probably be forgetful again....

I like the Tach idea, I'd been focused on an ignition feed or engine bay source. I'll design and print up a housing for the meter and bury it under the dash....fine location...
Thanks

I connected my hour/battery meter to the purple wire at the ignition switch connector, not the switch side of the connector but wire run side. Here is a picture of my hour/battery meter install.

Hour Meters 1.JPG

Thanks @Gym Catching up the hours wouldn't be too bad, but I've never been crazy about that interface however...and would probably be forgetful again....

I like the Tach idea, I'd been focused on an ignition feed or engine bay source. I'll design and print up a housing for the meter and bury it under the dash....fine location...
Thanks
You actually have two location choices @justason. You can either connect to the red wire that goes into the tach behind the helm or the same wire on 210s, is tucked into the wiring harness over the top of the port engine where you would plug in your YDS to read the hours.

I connected my hour/battery meter to the purple wire at the ignition switch connector, not the switch side of the connector but wire run side. Here is a picture of my hour/battery meter install.

View attachment 10800

Hi Andy.

So you're monitoring voltage off the purple lead?...when the engine is running....and then use that for the clock? Item 7 below is the switch I believe...purple not mentioned....In the second diagram It lists purple as "off" ?

I like the small diameter meters you have, Mine is a bit excessive at 2 or 2 1/4" to fit a dash hole.

upload_2014-8-25_10-20-20.png
upload_2014-8-25_10-22-25.png

Hi Andy.

So you're monitoring voltage off the purple lead?...when the engine is running....and then use that for the clock? Item 7 below is the switch I believe...purple not mentioned....In the second diagram It lists purple as "off" ?

I like the small diameter meters you have, Mine is a bit excessive at 2 or 2 1/4" to fit a dash hole.

View attachment 10802
View attachment 10804
Eric,

I will try to find an electrical diagram and post it. I believe the purple goes to the ECM not directly in the starter circuit.

Eric,

I will try to find an electrical diagram and post it. I believe the purple goes to the ECM not directly in the starter circuit.

thanks..I was debating a power meter as well, but would want it monitoring the voltage in an OFF and ON state

Hi Andy.

View attachment 10802
View attachment 10804
Eric,

My plan when I bought these hour/voltage meters was to upgrade to two batteries but so far I have not needed two batteries.

Right now the purple wire feeds the hour meter, tap each switch for the respective meter. These meters do not come on until the respective key switch is in the ON position. Since I currently only have one battery I taped off the output of the blower circuit breaker to provide indication of the battery voltage. This power goes to both meters. If I upgrade to two batteries I will rewire the voltage part of each meter. I believe these gauges can be setup to show the battery voltage with the key switch off. The down side to this is it will be a draw on your battery unless you have a battery disconnect switch.

hi @andy07sx230ho That purple wire you mentioned off the ignition (only 1 of the two) is to power the depth finder.........found it last night and in the manual this morning.........thanx

I like to take the easy way out and don't really need to know my hours on a constant basis so I just bought a YDS and check the hours at the end of the season or if I'm trouble shooting some other issue,

X's 2 on the purple wire. I used it for my Water Witch digital hour meters.

Back