• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hours?

Cabbi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi,
I am looking to buy my first Yamaha Jet Boat I am looking at a 2012 242 S. It has 360 Hours is this okay for a vessel this age. TIA for any help. It is proving to be a challenge finding anything bigger than a 190/192 In Ontario Canada.
P.S this is an awesome site. Cheers

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi,
I am looking to buy my first Yamaha Jet Boat I am looking at a 2012 242 S. It has 360 Hours is this okay for a vessel this age. TIA for any help. It is proving to be a challenge finding anything bigger than a 190/192 In Ontario Canada.
P.S this is an awesome site. Cheers
It depends on how it was cared for. Fresh or Salt? Proper maintenance done? especially saltwater. 360 hours is not bad at all. What kind of price is it?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
360hrs in 7yrs doesn't sound terrible. ~51hrs a year or so. I use my boat what I would consider a medium amount (lots of weekend time in the summer), and I'm sitting around 35hrs/yr at this point.

I'm unsure I've ever heard the "rebuild interval" for a Yamaha marine engine.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Yamaha 1.8 engines properly maintained will be least likely to give you any trouble. Those are built to run for about 2,000 hours and many rentals get that far.

I tend to think a boat used a lot is often a safer bet especially if the owners know what they are doing. It’s usually easy to find that out, asking the right questions.

Salt can be an issue with these boats, more so than for example outboards.

Do you have access to the PO or is it a dealer boat? Any chance you have done the sea trial already?

Cabbi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It depends on how it was cared for. Fresh or Salt? Proper maintenance done? especially saltwater. 360 hours is not bad at all. What kind of price is it?
They are asking 40k canadian. I believe freshwater only.

Cabbi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Yamaha 1.8 engines properly maintained will be least likely to give you any trouble. Those are built to run for about 2,000 hours and many rentals get that far.

I tend to think a boat used a lot is often a safer bet especially if the owners know what they are doing. It’s usually easy to find that out, asking the right questions.

Salt can be an issue with these boats, more so than for example outboards.

Do you have access to the PO or is it a dealer boat? Any chance you have done the sea trial already?

It is private. I haven't responded as of yet just looking for info regarding hours etc.

Cabbi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
360hrs in 7yrs doesn't sound terrible. ~51hrs a year or so. I use my boat what I would consider a medium amount (lots of weekend time in the summer), and I'm sitting around 35hrs/yr at this point.

Thats what I thought but was looking for an experienced opinion.

Cabbi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

6CBCBCEA-6D0E-4E42-BF2D-A2B5A7BEE845.pngC724B305-F6BD-410F-B991-6F6142F34D8F.png

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
In Canada or cold weather states 50 hours a year is pretty typical for a trailer boat.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can’t comment on Canadian prices, but if you can talk to the owner and get a good rapport as far as maintenance and care, and run a successful sea trial - these boats are pretty reliable.
Run a checklist from FAQs here when you meet the owner, keep us posted!

Osric

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
In Canada or cold weather states 50 hours a year is pretty typical for a trailer boat.
Wow. I'm at the start of my third season and at ~250 engine hours on my 242x.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same here, I’m pushing 300 hrs in my third season. 50 hrs per year is typical for average recreational/family use.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
We’ve only got three months to get the hours in... only so many weekends. ;)