• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

House battery required to be on in slip?

DanF861

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m currently reading through the manual of my recently purchased ‘16 242 LS and it says if the house battery is off the bilge pump won’t function. Since I keep the boat in a slip all summer (no lift), will there be much parasitic drain from the battery if I leave the house on all the time? The boat won’t sit for more than a week without being driven so it will get plenty of use and time to recharge. There is no electric power at my dock.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I believe you are correct.... 2018's are supposed to work even with the batteries off, but mine doesn't work that way. I turned off both batteries and would have water in the bilge when I got on. So now, I keep my house battery. It sat a week and no issues. The solar panel keeps it charged.

If you are keeping it in a slip, you should absolutely install a 2nd bilge pump. I put my boat in a slip this year and installed another pump and float switch just to be safe. Link is below and there are many other threads with others doing the same.

"IN A MEETING"

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just noticed yesterday that my bilge was running without the bilge switch on while we were just sitting still with engines off.

DanF861

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just noticed yesterday that my bilge was running without the bilge switch on while we were just sitting still with engines off.
I'm guessing your house battery was on, in which case the bilge will run automatically. Thanks for the info guys - I'll consider installing a 2nd bilge pump at some point.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm guessing your house battery was on, in which case the bilge will run automatically. Thanks for the info guys - I'll consider installing a 2nd bilge pump at some point.
Remember, that 1 pump running perfectly is the difference between your boat as you know it and your boat underwater..... a 2nd pump should be high on your list of stuff to do..... IMO. Good luck

stilesja

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just purchased a 2019 242 Limited S E-Series, and I am totally new to this. I'm coming from a Pontoon boat. I'm getting a lift but it is sitting wet in my slip now. I turned of both batteries, when I left it. Should I leave the house battery on?

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe the new ones are wired direct to the batteries with a built in float switch.

Don Shifflett

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My bilge pump cycles even when both battery switches are off. I heard it cycle on/off yesterday evening when I was installing a new anchor. Sitting on the lift with batteries off.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mine didn't work with he batteries off. When I got onboard, I had half a foot of water in the bilge. My 2nd pump and float switch did the trick though.

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine didn't work with he batteries off. When I got onboard, I had half a foot of water in the bilge. My 2nd pump and float switch did the trick though.
Why was there half a foot of water in your bilge area?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check that wiring... Primary Bilge should be tied directly battery. Is the primary working? Happy for you that the 2nd one worked.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Chris Kasz @HangOutdoors honestly I never looked into it. Only kept my boat in a wet slip that 1 year and doubt I ever will again. I couldn’t stand all the bugs and 10-15 mph loss in speed. I recall at least once, but I think twice where I had a decent amount of water when I boarded. I installed the 2nd bilge myself and wired it direct to the house battery. So I know it works. I should check on it the main and how it’s wired