• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

house vs start switches on the 2024's

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I gotta filter it out from some other experiences.

So, I got my new 2024 255XD. Been working on it in the driveway and getting everything set up. Of course I have to have the stereo going while I do that but, I can only get the connex screen and any associated systems to work unless I turn the start AND house switch to on.

On my older 242LS I could do just house for the stereo. Is there a system logic change on the newer models because of the electronics?

I'm pretty sure The dealer wired the batteries incorrectly somehow but its not a complicated hook up to the batteries so, I thought I would ask here what the rest of Y'all have experienced.

Thanks

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Interesting… I‘m taking mine back to marine to get it checked out. Having battery issues too so I’ll let you know what I find out.

Hook the Noco charger up to the batteries and charged for 2 days. Show a full charge. Turn both battery switches on plus the stereo and within minutes the Noco charger shows the house battery at 25-50%.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Interesting… I‘m taking mine back to marine to get it checked out. Having battery issues too so I’ll let you know what I find out.

Hook the Noco charger up to the batteries and charged for 2 days. Show a full charge. Turn both battery switches on plus the stereo and within minutes the Noco charger shows the house battery at 25-50%.
Some model boats might have a little black wire with a yellow tag that sez it must be hooked to the negative post of the house battery in order for it to charge.
The dvsr thingus will illuminate a small red light on BEP portion, next to the red light in small print it should say red light indicates house battery is charging.
If that ain't it , disconnect the house battery while charging.
Which noco?

Last edited:

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Noco Gen 5x3. ( I only have 2 of the 3 chargers connected right now).

OK thanks for that info. Boat is all buttoned up for the road trip and I'll take a look at that wire and the red light ina few hours when we get on the water.

Thanks @Bottom Bracket

TommyMcK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Noco Gen 5x3. ( I only have 2 of the 3 chargers connected right now).

OK thanks for that info. Boat is all buttoned up for the road trip and I'll take a look at that wire and the red light ina few hours when we get on the water.

Thanks @Bottom Bracket
I don't think that the relay (DVSR) is really relevant to this. I'm assuming that you are hooking your charger directly to the batteries. The sensing relay is used to connect the engine driven charging system to whichever battery needs it at any given moment. When you hook your chargers directly to the batteries, that relay shouldn't have anything to do with anything.

Regarding needing to switch the starting battery to "on" to get the Connext screen to fire up, I think that this is the way it is on all boats with the large Connext screens. I could guess as to what logic drove them to make that decision, but that's the way it is.

Finally, regarding your charger's estimate of percent charge, those things are not particularly accurate, and aren't even valid if you have the battery under load. The estimator assumes that the battery is disconnected. If the batteries are providing current, all bets are off.

I think that what you are seeing is normal.

ahenderson432

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I gotta filter it out from some other experiences.

So, I got my new 2024 255XD. Been working on it in the driveway and getting everything set up. Of course I have to have the stereo going while I do that but, I can only get the connex screen and any associated systems to work unless I turn the start AND house switch to on.

On my older 242LS I could do just house for the stereo. Is there a system logic change on the newer models because of the electronics?

I'm pretty sure The dealer wired the batteries incorrectly somehow but its not a complicated hook up to the batteries so, I thought I would ask here what the rest of Y'all have experienced.

Thanks
I don't think that the relay (DVSR) is really relevant to this. I'm assuming that you are hooking your charger directly to the batteries. The sensing relay is used to connect the engine driven charging system to whichever battery needs it at any given moment. When you hook your chargers directly to the batteries, that relay shouldn't have anything to do with anything.

Regarding needing to switch the starting battery to "on" to get the Connext screen to fire up, I think that this is the way it is on all boats with the large Connext screens. I could guess as to what logic drove them to make that decision, but that's the way it is.

Finally, regarding your charger's estimate of percent charge, those things are not particularly accurate, and aren't even valid if you have the battery under load. The estimator assumes that the battery is disconnected. If the batteries are providing current, all bets are off.

I think that what you are seeing is normal.
Here is a link to the DSRV bypass.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hey guys, Thanks for all the info.

Took the boat out yesterday and the wiring did look correct @Bottom Bracket. I can see where that wire could easily be missed. And yes, I did have the red light on the DVSR while the engines were running. So that looks normal (forgot about that light).

While cruising around all indications look good. Voltage was showing 14.1/14.2 on both batteries. While we were just chillin in a cove getting some sun the connex/system did turn off and then reboot on its own. I figured the house battery was getting low but it showed 12.1v when it rebooted.
Thought the shutdown was weird. only happened once.

As for the battery charging, @TommyMcK , You are correct. I had the Noco connected directly to both batteries. I could get a full 100% charge overnight but when the house and starter switches were turned on the house would drop down to 25% with in minutes (5-15) as indicated on the Noco meters even with the Noco still plugged in. Marine is going to replace the batteries for me and recheck the wiring. So that's where we are.

Appreciate everyones help. I guess there is some confusion with the 2024's and the House/Starter battery switches. We use to be able to isolate the systems with those switches but not anymore. Need them both on to power the stereo. Still waiting on the dealer/marine to call me back but from what you guys are saying it seems to be both on or its off .

BTW, LOVE the new boat. Damn she has a ton of power. going to be a fun summer and can not wait to get down to FL for the Jet Set 2024.

TommyMcK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Sounds good. If you got them to replace the batteries, good on you! Just wanted to point out though that the new batteries will do the same thing. The charging estimator on the Noco assumes that the batteries are not under load. As soon as you throw the battery switches, current starts to flow from the batteries (even with the Noco hooked up). The internal load resistance drops the output voltage, and the Noco isn't expecting that. It assumes that the output is low because the charge is low. You should only pay attention to the Noco's estimate of charge when the battery switches are off.

I did learn a thing or two from the link that @ahenderson432 provided. As soon as you hook up your charger, the DVSR ties the two batteries together. At that point, you really are charging the batteries in parallel. Nothing wrong with that in particular, but you aren't getting the benefit of the Noco smart charging circuitry that way on both batteries since one battery will always charge fully before the other. The good news though is that you really only need a single charger hooked to either battery.

Finally, and it's been discussed a bunch here.... You won't get nearly as much time on the house battery as you might think, and the ride back to the dock won't be enough to charge it back up. If you use the house battery regularly, charging between outings is a fact of life...

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@TommyMcK

Thanks a ton. I saw your comment before on the Charger indications and the load once the switch is on. I Didn't realize that but "I'm pickin up what you're laying down" now :winkingthumbsup". Makes sense

I'd like to get a 2nd house battery on this boat but not sure where I can I put it with the ballast set ups. Oh well, I'll work with what I got and go from there. We usually don't sit in the cove all day with the stereo going. We Tube and Surf a lot so that will help charge things back some but you are correct. I plug the batteries up a lot of times to be "topped off"