• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Houston We Got a Hiss

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So last trip I noticed a background high level hiss coming from the stereo while the boat was on. When stop the hiss went away so I didn't think much of it. Started doing some investigating and am finding that the hiss noise only occurs when anything to do with the stock electrical system is engaged (blower on, bilge on, engine start, etc). From what I can tell, the noise is somehow making it's way from the HU to the amp, with the RCA's disconnected and amp on there is no noise. Everything has common grounds and looks to be wired correctly so where should I go from here?

Thanks

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How short are the interconnects between the HU and the AMP?

Suggest starting with that link first. I have my HU connected to Jl800/8 with non special rca patch cord.

How is you amp powered? Did you run from battery/bus bar to amp with ? Gauge wire? Need more information about your setup please.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The RCA from HU to Amp is 3ft Knukonceptz Krystal twisted pair RCA 2ch x3

Setup is a Kenwood HU (KMR-M325BT) connected to the factory wiring harness, Amp is JL M600/6 with 3ft RCA to the HU, 4 gauge MESA 100% OFC wire for power and ground back to the battery. Battery has a BEP 2 battery switch (the basic one without DVSR), battery 1 and 2 have common ground both neg poles linked with 0 gauge jumper. Power to the amp is delivered from the battery switch with a 150amp house breaker.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The RCA from HU to Amp is 3ft Knukonceptz Krystal twisted pair RCA 2ch x3

Setup is a Kenwood HU (KMR-M325BT) connected to the factory wiring harness, Amp is JL M600/6 with 3ft RCA to the HU, 4 gauge MESA 100% OFC wire for power and ground back to the battery. Battery has a BEP 2 battery switch (the basic one without DVSR), battery 1 and 2 have common ground both neg poles linked with 0 gauge jumper. Power to the amp is delivered from the battery switch with a 150amp house breaker.

View attachment 97192
If you ground the HU to the amp ground wire, not factory harness, I bet you will remote 90% of the hiss if not all of it.

--

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you ground the HU to the amp ground wire, not factory harness, I bet you will remote 90% of the hiss if not all of it.

--
I shall give that a shot today, Thanks!

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

--
Yep moving the ground to the amp made the hiss disappear. Finally have this thing sounding like it should. Thanks for all the help!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep moving the ground to the amp made the hiss disappear. Finally have this thing sounding like it should. Thanks for all the help!

View attachment 97245
BTW - that's @Mainah - for credit, just regurgitating his advice that worked for me and others (can't find the thread now). He keeps reminding us that boats are funny, you know - no chassis w/ ground...lol.

--

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
BTW - that's @Mainah - for credit, just regurgitating his advice that worked for me and others (can't find the thread now). He keeps reminding us that boats are funny, you know - no chassis w/ ground...lol.

--
Haha yep makes sense but still you would think that it would be fine because it all goes back to the same battery. At least that's my thought.