• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How do you beach?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So as mentioned keel guard is a must if you plan to beach at all. As mentioned only beach somewhere you know for sure it’s safe to do. I beach as slow as possible and try not to power up on to the beach. My preferred method is anchor of with stern in but a few places we go this is not an option as they get packed and everyone one else beaches so anchoring off isn’t possible as I would likely slam into the boats next to me.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
If you plan on touching the shore at all, get a keel guard. Fiberglass/Gelcoat repair is not cheap. I was always very careful but this is the result. Luckily I got it patched up and keel guard installed. Before and after:

Attachments

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would not beach any boat unless it was an aluminum bottom boat. Gelcoat is just too nice IMO to risk it and I personally don't like how keel guards look on anything. I'm a sucker for a nice sexy hull profile so they just aren't my thing but if you were someone who plans to beach for sure get a keel guard. I just think it's too risky and with these kinds of boats there really isn't a need since you can get them so close to shore anyways. I also think it's a horrible thing when people are listing their boats for sell and you see them beached knowing that gelcoat is getting scratched to some degree. Just makes me cringe every time!

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I also agree with the other boaters. I never beach. I put way too much money and time keeping this boat spotless, just to turnaround and scratch it up on a beach. Like @haknslash said, without the an outdrive, we can comfortably back in close to shore. I usually use a two anchor spread to keep the aft end of the boat from swinging around. Works well.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
8 pound mantas anchor in the back and a 12 pound in the front. Pull it in or out with the tide. 20180804_112329.jpg20180217_135627.jpg

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We don't beach, either. We don't use a sand spike or tie off to the shoreline. I drop the bow anchor a distance out that is dictated by what phase the tide is currently in and then back down to where I want the boat to end up. We will drop a 15lb mushroom anchor straight off the stern, which is enough to hold in a moderate breeze and/or tidal current. If it's a littler harsher out, I'll secure a small Danforth 15 or 20 feet off the stern. Etiquette dictates a float attached at the stern anchor to mark its location so other people don't hurt themselves on it and a spare fender works well for this.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to see I’m not the only one overprotective of my hull. I tie bow-out then bury a mushroom anchor on shore so it’s not a tripping or toe-stubbing hazard. I usually shut the engines off in about 4-5 feet of water and pull it the rest of the way in so I don’t suck anything into the jets.