• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

How do you boat, what are your favorite mods and why?

I have been lurking on this board observing everyone’s ideas and experiences for the last two winters to set goals and learn about jet boats in general and Yamaha in particular as our 2017 SX210 is our first (not boat, but jet boat). In addition to the usual skiing, tubing, and kneeboarding with the grandkids and friends, we like to cruise and anchor for relaxation and we often use the boat at night.
I think I have finally reached the point where I feel worthy to post something other than a question.
So the first thing I decided was that the electrical system was inadequate for what we wanted. Starting with that, here’s what I have done to our boat. (I’m sure I will leave out some of the little ones).
Upgraded DC distribution to add hot battery buses and a selected battery bus in an electrical box in the engine compartment, a helm bus behind the panel and a port side bus in the port storage compartment. Nothing but the battery selector switch is hooked physically to the batteries.
Upgraded to a two battery system with selector and DVSR with helm indication. Added a dual voltage meter with a push button to prevent draining or having to turn on the batteries to check them.
Added a compartment light control to power them from selected battery or hot #2 battery or off.
Added lights controlled by magnetic switches (except the starboard one so using the door to block the wind is still good. It’s on a switch) to all storage compartments.
Added shelves to the big port storage compartment and hangers for vest in the starboard one. Used various methods for under seat storage control and now anyone can find anything.
Added bow docking lights.
Added 4 courtesy lights (bow step, engine step, swim deck, and port side. Added a remote control to operate them when approaching the boat at night.
Added a Lowrance HDS 9 chartplotter and sonar.
Added a recessed phone and separate recessed tablet cables (poor man’s radar) without using USB or 12V plugs originally installed.
Added a dual USB plug in the “glove box” along with a Sirius XM dock connected to the boats control so I don’t have to pay for another subscription.
Upgraded to Kicker speakers. I just did this so I will see how they sound on the water before deciding if an amp is required.
Added an AC plug on the port side to power the added dual bank charger mounted in the engine compartment along with the charger for the toy inflator battery.
Installed a float control to the bilge pump so it can be wired to the #2 battery at all times without draining the battery by constant testing while keeping the helm switch operative.
Added a higher float to active a loud alarm if the bilge pump fails or can’t keep up. It’s hot wired to the #1 battery. Also added a plug for a backup bilge pump that I somehow ended up with over the years and keep in the storage compartment.
I found the placement of the cleats (except amidships) useless for fenders. So I added Taylor fender locks just aft of the bimini support and put pegs at several lengths and put fender clips on the bow rails. Now, within seconds, even my wife can look and set up fenders for any type or height dock we run up against. Not a scratch yet.
Added Boat Buckles, LED trailer lighting, and lighted roller loading guide-ons.
Added tow valves, mostly to allow flushing the engines and winterizing. Set up a rig to be able to do both engines together and shaped a PVC pipe to be able to turn the valves without hanging upside down in the engine compartment.
Added the throttle sync. These took a while to get set properly, but it’s great for hole shots and the only way my wife will drive so I can ski.
Installed a box anchor (these are great on the river) and beefed up the anchor locker to support it. Added a folding cleat under the bow ladder for the anchor.
Added a SS shield on the bow for the trailer bumper.
Underneath, added the Thrust Vectors (an improvement, though I hoped for more but probably set my expectations to high) and Lateral Thrusters (love these as I can spin the boat within its own length).
Added 9 x 18 trim tabs (a tight fit) with the manual leveling control to balance laterally as well as fore and aft but haven’t gotten to try them yet on the water.
I thought the mod for single button engine start and stop was elegant but didn’t want the future possibility of trouble shooting the controls and relays but I HAD to eliminate that awful alarm every time we changed whoever we were towing (or recovering). So I added a single button engine stop wired directly to the ignition circuit. And I also hooked it up to the trim tab retract lead. Push the button for 1 second and the engines quit. Push it for 2 or more and the engines quit and the trim tabs retract. Keys are left on at all times and no BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.
The only mod I still want to do is a screen around the bilge pump. I’m tired of fishing small tools and parts out of there (though a drain snake is a good way to push things out).
Anal? Maybe, but I now have a boat exactly the way I want it. Just like I made 29 mods on my motorhome and 13 to my Harley. Comments good or bad would be appreciated.

on my SX230

Gaffrig Throttles
LTEs
Cobra Steering Fins
Bilge Alarm and indicator + 2 Extra Bilge Pumps
SeaDek on the swim platform
new steering wheel
GPS Speedometer
EZ Locks
2 speed winch on the trailer
Upgraded Horns

Best toy has been a floating mat 18x8. The kids have had such a blast on it, it has been an awesome toy, although bulky and a chore to roll...it's ready instantly and rolls back in about 90 seconds.

Here's my list. Nothing really stands out more than another, all have been worthwhile additions:
  1. Tinted windows
  2. Replaced bow roller with Stoltz
  3. G2 Boat buckles
  4. Keel guard
  5. Removed warning stickers
  6. JL Tower speakers + sub and new deck with 2 amps. Cut hole and put grill for sub vent.
  7. Onboard Prosport battery charger
  8. New Odyssey battery
  9. Replaced trailer lights to LED
  10. Replaced cockpit rugs with Seadek
  11. New rims and tires on trailer
  12. Replaced pissers with nicer ones
  13. Storage compartments for ropes
  14. Tower mod so tower can be lowered further
  15. Replaced air filter with Riva washable one
  16. Mounted Ram Mount cell phone holder
  17. Named boat of course
  18. Spare tire mount
  19. Fire extinguisher mount
  20. Thrust vectors
  21. Lateral thrusters
  22. Painted horn grill and gas cap black
  23. Added hula girl on dash :cool:
1AC47E0E-4594-49F6-8AE9-F9BA1D8DBE86.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd have to say my favorite so far is the SeaDek, really changes the look and feel of the boat. As for the rest of the mods well they are pretty much in my signature. One of the easiest and helpful every time you boat is actually boat buckles, pretty much a must have.
which size of buckle, G3 mini or G2?

Here's my list. Nothing really stands out more than another, all have been worthwhile additions:
  1. Tinted windows
  2. Replaced bow roller with Stoltz
  3. G2 Boat buckles
  4. Keel guard
  5. Removed warning stickers
  6. JL Tower speakers + sub and new deck with 2 amps. Cut hole and put grill for sub vent.
  7. Onboard Prosport battery charger
  8. New Odyssey battery
  9. Replaced trailer lights to LED
  10. Replaced cockpit rugs with Seadek
  11. New rims and tires on trailer
  12. Replaced pissers with nicer ones
  13. Storage compartments for ropes
  14. Tower mod so tower can be lowered further
  15. Replaced air filter with Riva washable one
  16. Mounted Ram Mount cell phone holder
  17. Named boat of course
  18. Spare tire mount
  19. Fire extinguisher mount
  20. Thrust vectors
  21. Lateral thrusters
  22. Painted horn grill and gas cap black
  23. Added hula girl on dash :cool:
View attachment 90491
I gotta get me one of those!!! Goes on a boat so it must be expensive, huh?

We mostly spend weekends when home on the Connecticut River, which has strong tidal action and often swift currents. We do some tubing and skiing with the kids here and often anchor for a BBQ (I did add that also) and relaxing with friends and other boaters. Because there are many larger boats (30' plus) in relatively narrow channels in many places, I hope the trim tabs will reduce the pounding we take moving on the river. Maneuverability is also very important when docking at restaurants, etc. when the tide is running and there is a breeze.
But we spend a great deal of time on Lake Winnipesaukee (6 weeks or more) moored at at campground with our motorhome. If you are not familiar, the lake is 23 miles long and 8 miles wide with hundreds of islands. We can stay for weeks as everyone has a dock (hardware store, grocery store, ice cream shop, at least 22 restaurants, arcade, amusement park, name it) without ever using our car. Lots of family visitors for skiing, anchoring for picnics, floaties, or just cruising to visit the 7 different towns with public docks. We consider this place heaven, but can't afford the $1,000,000 price for a summer home only.
Of course it can get very busy and the water can get very choppy in the middle of the day so the trim tabs are (hopefully) going to make life even better. And traveling at night for dinner, entertainment, weekly fireworks, etc. is important, hence all the lighting mods. The number of islands, narrow passages, and rocky areas demand a chartplotter. Close behind handling mods and lighting is the engine kill button. I have come to loathe that tone unless there is some alarm that needs to be attended to. All the others just make the day a little more pleasant and, as you might have guessed, given me something to do in the winter.

I have been lurking on this board observing everyone’s ideas and experiences for the last two winters to set goals and learn about jet boats in general and Yamaha in particular as our 2017 SX210 is our first (not boat, but jet boat). In addition to the usual skiing, tubing, and kneeboarding with the grandkids and friends, we like to cruise and anchor for relaxation and we often use the boat at night.
I think I have finally reached the point where I feel worthy to post something other than a question.
So the first thing I decided was that the electrical system was inadequate for what we wanted. Starting with that, here’s what I have done to our boat. (I’m sure I will leave out some of the little ones).
Upgraded DC distribution to add hot battery buses and a selected battery bus in an electrical box in the engine compartment, a helm bus behind the panel and a port side bus in the port storage compartment. Nothing but the battery selector switch is hooked physically to the batteries.
Upgraded to a two battery system with selector and DVSR with helm indication. Added a dual voltage meter with a push button to prevent draining or having to turn on the batteries to check them.
Added a compartment light control to power them from selected battery or hot #2 battery or off.
Added lights controlled by magnetic switches (except the starboard one so using the door to block the wind is still good. It’s on a switch) to all storage compartments.
Added shelves to the big port storage compartment and hangers for vest in the starboard one. Used various methods for under seat storage control and now anyone can find anything.
Added bow docking lights.
Added 4 courtesy lights (bow step, engine step, swim deck, and port side. Added a remote control to operate them when approaching the boat at night.
Added a Lowrance HDS 9 chartplotter and sonar.
Added a recessed phone and separate recessed tablet cables (poor man’s radar) without using USB or 12V plugs originally installed.
Added a dual USB plug in the “glove box” along with a Sirius XM dock connected to the boats control so I don’t have to pay for another subscription.
Upgraded to Kicker speakers. I just did this so I will see how they sound on the water before deciding if an amp is required.
Added an AC plug on the port side to power the added dual bank charger mounted in the engine compartment along with the charger for the toy inflator battery.
Installed a float control to the bilge pump so it can be wired to the #2 battery at all times without draining the battery by constant testing while keeping the helm switch operative.
Added a higher float to active a loud alarm if the bilge pump fails or can’t keep up. It’s hot wired to the #1 battery. Also added a plug for a backup bilge pump that I somehow ended up with over the years and keep in the storage compartment.
I found the placement of the cleats (except amidships) useless for fenders. So I added Taylor fender locks just aft of the bimini support and put pegs at several lengths and put fender clips on the bow rails. Now, within seconds, even my wife can look and set up fenders for any type or height dock we run up against. Not a scratch yet.
Added Boat Buckles, LED trailer lighting, and lighted roller loading guide-ons.
Added tow valves, mostly to allow flushing the engines and winterizing. Set up a rig to be able to do both engines together and shaped a PVC pipe to be able to turn the valves without hanging upside down in the engine compartment.
Added the throttle sync. These took a while to get set properly, but it’s great for hole shots and the only way my wife will drive so I can ski.
Installed a box anchor (these are great on the river) and beefed up the anchor locker to support it. Added a folding cleat under the bow ladder for the anchor.
Added a SS shield on the bow for the trailer bumper.
Underneath, added the Thrust Vectors (an improvement, though I hoped for more but probably set my expectations to high) and Lateral Thrusters (love these as I can spin the boat within its own length).
Added 9 x 18 trim tabs (a tight fit) with the manual leveling control to balance laterally as well as fore and aft but haven’t gotten to try them yet on the water.
I thought the mod for single button engine start and stop was elegant but didn’t want the future possibility of trouble shooting the controls and relays but I HAD to eliminate that awful alarm every time we changed whoever we were towing (or recovering). So I added a single button engine stop wired directly to the ignition circuit. And I also hooked it up to the trim tab retract lead. Push the button for 1 second and the engines quit. Push it for 2 or more and the engines quit and the trim tabs retract. Keys are left on at all times and no BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.
The only mod I still want to do is a screen around the bilge pump. I’m tired of fishing small tools and parts out of there (though a drain snake is a good way to push things out).
Anal? Maybe, but I now have a boat exactly the way I want it. Just like I made 29 mods on my motorhome and 13 to my Harley. Comments good or bad would be appreciated.
Thats a badass list!! Are there photos of all of this somewhere? :)

As soon as the weather around here gets above 50 degrees I will get my boat out and take some. By the way, have lots of experience with the trim tabs and love them.

Trim tabs are up pretty high on my wish list.....

Back