• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How do you flush?

tomfoolery

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
I read this on a boat review but wonder how its done....
Anyone know?

"The GTS 187’s engine and power train is direct-drive (i.e. no transmission and no 90-degree turns), compact, and relatively simple with far fewer parts, both moving and otherwise. With fewer parts generally maintenance concerns are reduced. However, the jet propulsion system requires a higher level of maintenance if operated in salt water. Freshwater flushes are recommended after each use."

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi,

I think these Rotax power plants use similar parts still, so even though I don't have a Glastron, I'll try to help:

Look around your jet pump for a molded hard plastic tube about the width of a garden hose. Mine's to the upper left of the jet pump, and I have to reach past the reverse gate to get to it. You should be able to see or feel threads in the plastic just on the inside of the tube. This is where you screw a garden hose or a quick disconnect for a garden hose. See this thread for an example of a quick disconnect that makes life easier.

The general process is as follows:
  • Connect hose
  • Start engine
  • (quickly) turn on hose and/or activate hose valve (sometimes the quick disconnect kits have a little valve)
  • Your engine is now flushing. You'll see water start spilling out of the jet pump area. Flush as desired. I sometimes rev the engine moderately and briefly, just to blow any vegetation through. Keep your backblast area clear if you do this. I plastered the wife with bits of seaweed, which as it turns out, is not a popular move.
  • Turn hose off
  • Keep engine on for a few more moments, letting majority of water/saltaway drain
  • (quickly) Turn off engine
I think the critical parts are that your engine is on BEFORE the water, and the water is turned off BEFORE you turn off engine. Basically, you never want hose water blasting at your engine while it's off. I'm not a gearhead, so I can't explain what bad things will happen. Also, the reason for the (quickly) steps is because you don't want your engine running very long without liquid flowing through to cool it. Don't know how long it would take to overheat, but I haven't tempted fate.

I use a Saltaway flush kit and the quick disconnect in the thread I linked and this process seems to work pretty well. I flush for a few with water, and then for a few with Saltaway, ending with Saltaway to leave a protective residue (according to them).

Anyway, hope that helps. Good luck!

tomfoolery

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Awesome.... found the connection point.
Is this where you would flush anti-freeze in winter as well..... same process with start..... fluid on..... run..... fluid off.... engine off?

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Awesome.... found the connection point.
Is this where you would flush anti-freeze in winter as well..... same process with start..... fluid on..... run..... fluid off.... engine off?
That I can't answer. I take mine to a dealer to have it winterized/fogged and wrapped, so I'm more or less ignorant of the winter process. Guys around this forum are super knowledgeable, so I bet one of them will chime in. If not, it's probably because they all seem to live where it's gorgeous boating weather year round! haha

One last thing I didn't explicitly mention -- except when doing the quick couple revs to clear things out, I leave the throttle at minimum during the flush.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tomfoolery , I'm sooo glad you found the right peeps to answer your question....you don't want to know what I thought this was about when I saw the title of the post.

But for the record, The answer is infrequently. We are in a drought. :p:eek: