• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How I deal with a Giant Tube in a Tiny Boat.......

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First.....Please go re-read the title in the best "Tommy Boy" voice you can muster. I can't stop giggling, and I hope you do too :D :D

Now, For the post content that might actually be useful. Click images for fullsize.

The question of "how to deal with a giant tube" seems to come up often. Many people inflate/deflate back and forth. Maybe people avoid tubes all together. Typically the kids love the tube, and some of the adults love them as well. Here's how I deal with ours, and it's worked out decently for years. Both on the Yamaha, and on our old Rinker.

First, I start the day with the tube deflated. This is the best for moving about the boat, and having plenty of space. I carry a handheld inflator, but I'm seriously considering adding a permanent onboard device. I keep mine stored in the starboard rear storage area. It stuffs back in there pretty well, and leaves us plenty of space for other stuff, including the tube rope.
GiantTube02.jpg

Once we're out on the water, I use the HVLP pump, with a cigarette lighter extension cord and blow up the tube on the rear . No pictures of this, but you get the idea. Once inflated, we tube/play/etc for as long as we like. Once that's all done, we have to either deflate or "stow" the tube somewhere. I choose to just leave it inflated so I can dry it fully at home later.

To stow the tube while underway, I do two things. I take the tube rope and tie it off to the starboard rear cleat with about 6' of "slack" between the tube and the cleat. This gives us the ability to move the tube out of the way if anyone needs on/off the platform without actually unhooking it from the boat. I tuck the remainder of the rope into the rear storage tray and close the lid over it. Keep the rope away from the latch, and away from the safety switch back there.
GiantTube03.jpg

I'll then take the rope still attached to the tube, and hook it on the rear tow point. This gets the tube up on "most" of the swim platform. it will ride back here all day with no real poor side effects. Speed and fuel mileage seems mostly unchanged with the tube back there. It also just "hangs on" when we pull the boat out of the water at the ramp. It'll just ride there until we get to the tie down lanes, and can unhook it and move it aside.
GiantTube04.jpg GiantTube05.jpg

If we stop to swim, or go to the marina, or otherwise need on the swim platform for any reason, it's super simple to just undo it from the rear tow eye, and let it float. The extra line to the cleat keeps it from escaping, and gives it enough line to be out of the way. We've found it works really well, and even the 9yr old can "hook and unhook" the tube if needed.

Once we're done for the day, we just leave it hooked to the boat and pull out on the trailer at the ramp. No big deal. After we have the boat all cleaned out, and just before we put the cover on, I'll wipe down the tube (because it's been wet and sitting on the ground and I don't want that dirt in the interior) and place it like shown below. It "wedges" in there fairly tight, and takes a little coercion to get the plastic attachment piece away from the window. Once in place, it's good and secure. We always trailer with the cover on, so we just pull the cover over and go about our trip home. Once home, we hang it on the garage wall and let it dry, then I'll take a few minutes one night to deflate it with the pump, and fold/roll it back up and stow it.
GiantTube01.jpg

So, there you have it. It's not a perfect system, and it might not work for all, but it does well for us. Overly large tubes might not work as well, smaller ones might work better. If you trailer uncovered that might be an issue. We towed our Rinker uncovered, and would throw a rope through the steering wheel and grab handles to keep the tube "in the boat".

Hopefully this helps a person or two along the way.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome write up

Very similar situation with the same tube but also have a water mat. The mat is a PITA as far as I'm concerned but the kids love it. Mat gets rolled up and put on the rear swim deck, tube deflated & stowed in the ski locker unless used. No way around it but you have to climb over the mat to get to the back of the swim deck to get on the tube, wakeboard, ski or anything else. We air up the tube with a Coleman 120v inflator by power inverter. Once the tube is done for the day I deflate it and shove it in between the mat and back of swim deck until we get back to the truck, take it home and hang it over a step ladder to dry. There are days that I will give the kids the option of what to do for the day. If they want to tube then no mat but if they want the mat then no tubing.
We also have a 3 person Mable and that thing is HUGE!!! It only goes out when we are on vacation with another family. Way to big to try to deal with it while cruising with a mat so we'll tube and then drop it off at the dock and leave it behind.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I did the "Tommy Boy" in my head before I read your post, hilarious 👍my boys are a little older now so if they want to tube they have to do it all. Last night we were making our plains to go out tomorrow and my boys said "lets leave the tube at home and just use the noodles" now they realize a tube can be a pain in the ass but alot of fun nonetheless.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When we tube, I carry the tube deflated in the ski locker. We proceed up to our gps-marked "swimming hole" on Lake Poygan (about an hour from our launch) and once there we drop anchor and the swimming begins. With everyone off the boat and out of the way, I'm able to get the tube inflated with no problems. We then tie it off to a cleat and use it as a "floating island" swim destination. Sometimes we actually drag it around behind the boat, many times we don't.

When we're done I deflate it on the swim-deck, stuff the outer canvas in the "wet storage" over the clean-out plugs and fold up the tube itself. The tube gets put back into the ski-locker again for the ride home.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I would highly suggest getting a high pressure pump that has battery connection (clamp on). The 12v cig lighter is weak and any pump that plugs into it will be weak. I have one as a backup to my high pressure pump. Night and day difference.

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What are good pump examples that you guys are using? I have a Super Mable and need something that can inflate it reasonable fast on the water and with enough pressure. I find that tube needs to be very full/tight to swing it over the wake.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
What are good pump examples that you guys are using? I have a Super Mable and need something that can inflate it reasonable fast on the water and with enough pressure. I find that tube needs to be very full/tight to swing it over the wake.
I use this one and like it AHP-12AP made by AirHead. It has 2.2 psi at 3.5 amps 350 watts. I have the 12 volt and the leads for the clamps are very long. About 50 bucks on amazon.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Best investment I've ever made:

Cordless and the size of a small drill. I have an HO Sports EXO-3 three person towable and this thing inflates it in minutes. No plugging into the 12v outlet or coming off the battery - easy peasy.

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Best investment I've ever made:

Cordless and the size of a small drill. I have an HO Sports EXO-3 three person towable and this thing inflates it in minutes. No plugging into the 12v outlet or coming off the battery - easy peasy.
I've seen others use this pump before. Does it have sufficient pressure to get the tube to 2psi? I find with the Super Mable that it needs to be pretty tight or its just too difficult to swing behind the boat.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It gets pretty tight - I don't have any problems swinging the EXO-3 around.