• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How much debris is bad?

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First time getting debris in the impeller 4 times on Sunday. 2 were bad with a stick stuck between the impeller and the housing any chance this did damage?

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't worry to much , we boat on the Mississippi River and debris is a common thing for us , as long as it is not rocks I wouldn't worry !!

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Among other things, we sucked up Dorito's bags, a cut tip of a 2x4, a smashed qt. oil bottle, countless sticks...like @ar240owner said, the only time we did damage to the impeller was when we sucked up some rocks.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes !!! No to rope !!! And rocks !!!!

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@007
Are you boating at a Landfill???:(

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Say no to truck inner tubes, also.IMG_0665rev1.jpg IMG_0670rev1.jpg IMG_0672rev1.jpg

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks all for the pics to make me less stressed out!

jfkraus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We boat on Lake Chelan in Washington State. The lake has a lot of logging debris in it including some pretty big logs. But what get's you is the small water-logged wood chips. We sometimes get them stuck between the impeller and the housing and they cause a horrible rattle. We haven't seen any damage, but they can be a bear to remove.

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We boat on Lake Chelan in Washington State. The lake has a lot of logging debris in it including some pretty big logs. But what get's you is the small water-logged wood chips. We sometimes get them stuck between the impeller and the housing and they cause a horrible rattle. We haven't seen any damage, but they can be a bear to remove.
That's exactly what I sucked up, impossible to remove by hand, had to free it by hitting the the throttle hard a few times, is that the method you have used?

jarozi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It really depends on how it gets sucked up as much as what it is. My lone issue with debris hosing the impeller was when a relatively small chunk of wood got lodged in there. It was maybe a 1" x 0.5" piece of a branch. But it got wedged in there just right and locked up the impeller. We tried to clear it through the ports but it was not budging. Blasting the throttle a few times cleared it. Probably not the best way to do it, but that's what we did.

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've sucked up capri sun containers, zip locks bags, I even sucked up a kite one time....yea the whole kite...wood frame, material and some string. I boat on Lake Erie and small twigs or small wood pieces are normal.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lots of beautiful pine trees on the canals that lead to our place. But then there's the crappy pine needles and, worse than that, pine cones - which are surprisingly sharp when you try to get them out of the impeller. I keep a set of mechanic's gloves on the boat for a bit of protection from the sharp bits.

I know the pine cones have actually added a few chips to the impellers. And then the pine cones trap needles in bunches which has caused an overheat warning a couple of times... much more worried about that than impeller damage. In any case, thankful for cleanout plugs - saved the day a few times. Keep something like a Leatherman tool, long needle nose pliers, sharp (preferably floating) knife...