• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How much oil?

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I finally got around to changing the oil today in my SX 240 and sucked out a little over 4 quarts from each engine, plus there was a bit in the oil filters. However, when I look at the owner's manual it says:

Engine oil quantity 4.55 quarts
Engine oil quantity with oil filter replacement 3.28 quarts
I'm not sure what the difference is so I just poured back in 4 quarts for each engine--don't know if that is too much or not enough.

I would be able to answer my own question if I could read the dip stick--is there a "full" indication? The only thing I see is that it has a bend but normally the oil is above that level.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You did an extra good job of sucking!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My dip sticks have diamond shaped grooves in them to indicate the low and full levels. If you took four quarts out putting four back should be fine for a while.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finally got around to changing the oil today in my SX 240 and sucked out a little over 4 quarts from each engine, plus there was a bit in the oil filters. However, when I look at the owner's manual it says:

Engine oil quantity 4.55 quarts
Engine oil quantity with oil filter replacement 3.28 quarts
I'm not sure what the difference is so I just poured back in 4 quarts for each engine--don't know if that is too much or not enough.

I would be able to answer my own question if I could read the dip stick--is there a "full" indication? The only thing I see is that it has a bend but normally the oil is above that level.

@xoomer , read your manual to see how to read the dip-stick. Once you're on the water with the engines warmed up, check the oil level. I have a 2015 and there are a couple types of motors and the dip-sticks are different. Chances are that since you put in what you took out, you'll be fine.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@xoomer - You did just perfect!!

I usually like to drain into a graduated cylinder and then dump my oil filter into the same cylinder. The Yamaha siphon system is graduated for ease of use. Once you replaced what you took out let the engines warm up (don't forget to be flushing them) and then make sure the engines are close to level before checking the oil level. I still keep a spare quart on the boat - just in case. Always check it again once on the water. IF you aren't sure of the level lean towards being a little low. If you go over you'll get blow-by and oil will saturate your air filters. (those are over $100 each btw)

Pure CYA procedure.