• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How much to offer on new VRX when buying from dealership? Or, What'd you pay for your vortex?

Brendon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
So I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a 243 VRX, but I've never bought a new boat and have no idea how much wiggle room there is on price.

When I price the 243vrx with a couple goodies, on the website it's $64k before the fees. So realistically how much should I offer/expect to pay? Would $60k OTD be a realistic offer?

On that note: for those of you who've already bought one (even if not a 243) what did you pay OTD for yours?

Thanks!

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Being Yamahas are the market leader and Chap want a piece of it, I'd go in and say "right, what are you going to offer to stop me buying a Yamaha!" (Which I believe are cheaper)

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not sure how much wiggle room you will find. The web site states "No Hassle Price". I generally take that as meaning what you see is what you pay. That said, my local Chaparral dealer has told me the first few they sell will likely be below that price as a way to get the product out there for others to see, so I imagine it depends on how many your local dealer has been moving.

ccrayjr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am going to check out the Vortex 243 soon too! Most of the time pricing is relative to the competition in your local market. If you don't mind the drive, call around on pricing.

Brendon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
Well if a dealer were asking a certain price, I know with a car you can usually offer like 1-3k less.... Can you do the same for a boat dealer? If they were asking 65k for a 243vrx would 60k be a tolerable offer?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
"I'd offer them $60k and see what they say." You can always go up, but its real hard to get them back down!!
Personally, I think this is great advice.
Try and talk with the owner, who is floorplanning all of this expensive inventory.
Tell him you got $60K tops, not $61K, and there is no wiggle room. Tell them if they agree, with the price including any incidentals (state sales tax, etc), you are ready to lay down cash and buy. Otherwise, no. Be nice. IF they say no ... Tell them thanks, and walk out.
Expect a phone call in a day or two.
No phone call ? Find another dealer.

Good Luck. Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ask them why you shouldn't buy a Yamaha or what they will do to compete. The Chap dealer couldn't give me a reason except for "If you buy a Yamaha, you won't have a Chaparral"- over and over again. I bought the Yamaha.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Best advice right here.

Personally, I think this is great advice.
Try and talk with the owner, who is floorplanning all of this expensive inventory.
Tell him you got $60K tops, not $61K, and there is no wiggle room. Tell them if they agree, with the price including any incidentals (state sales tax, etc), you are ready to lay down cash and buy. Otherwise, no. Be nice. IF they say no ... Tell them thanks, and walk out.
Expect a phone call in a day or two.
No phone call ? Find another dealer.

Good Luck. Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Dennis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like this site http://www.seedealercost.com/boats

Current Zip Code: 22304 (change)

Name Year MSRP & Invoice
Chaparral 203VR Vortex Jet Boat 2015

$32,995.00
$28,345.00
Chaparral 203VRX Vortex Jet Boat 2015
$38,632.00
$32,945.00
Chaparral 223VR Vortex Jet Boat 2015
$45,499.00
$38,885.00
Chaparral 223VRX Vortex Jet Boat 2015
$49,499.00
$42,245.00
Chaparral 243VR Vortex Jet Boat 2015
$55,995.00
$47,705.00
Chaparral 243VRX Vortex Jet Boat 2015
$59,995.00
$51,135.00

Brendon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
DAAAAAAYYUUMMMMM Thats AWESOME!!! I never knew such a site existed. Thats PERFECT thanks a ton Dennis!

Dennis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well if a dealer were asking a certain price, I know with a car you can usually offer like 1-3k less.... Can you do the same for a boat dealer? If they were asking 65k for a 243vrx would 60k be a tolerable offer?
Brandon, If you don't mind spending hours in the shop and acting like every dollar you pull from your pocket is going to cause your family to go without diner one night then you can work a dealer pretty good. I just bought a new 2014 Regal 24 Fasdeck. I went into the dealership on a cold, rainy weekday in Dec. spent 4 hrs playing the game. MSRP was a little over $120,000 I got it for little under $59,000. Dealer invoice came in around $70,000. As I was walking to the office I said; “Does that boat have underwater lights? I like those” a $1200 option. They told me they would throw them in if I would just shut up and buy the boat already.

Attachments

Brendon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
Not sure if I got the relevance of the first sentence…..? But yeah sounds about right.

Wait what? how'd you manage to get it for under dealer invoice????? that means they'd be loosing 11k…?

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is what i found out from both Yamaha and Chaparral basically. you can go in at their price say 50499 for the yamaha SX240. add tax. get them to waive Freight, prep and dealer fee and in my case upgrade trailer to galvanized. I think that is a pretty fair gauge, adds up to around 2700 savings. I believe chaparral may go another 1000 off.

On a different note i spoke to chaparral rep at Miami boat show in detail about my concerns about cleanouts, noise and turbo charger rebuild, he gave me a little BS until he figured I knew what I was talking about and was not just a new boat owner.
so about the turbo charger rebuild, 200 hr rebuild which we all discussed on this site but he also told me that very soon Rotax was going to make the decision to go to 300-400 hrs on the rebuild.
As for the cleanouts in my opinion is an issue but a smaller one, I looked very closely at the impeller on these boats, they are very different in design and shape. The edges of these blades are razor sharp, the impeller is more like a screw instead of a blade, the area after the impeller that straightens the water, its leading edges are also very sharp so i am assuming most weeds will be pretty much turned into salad, as for a rope, nothing will take a rope prop or jet, I personally have never ingested a rope after 9 years, rep to me they did run rope through it at speed ( not sure i beilieve it but said it shredded rope) And last is sound, i gotta get the dealer to put one in water for me and look at it.

Now the Yamaha Salesman swore up and down to me that the connext had engine temperature display even after i told him no, so he too me over to a working display to porve me wrong, he looked and looked finally her brought a girl over that was a yamaha rep for the connext, she was a bit unsure also but said no it did not, but then asked my why I would want that, she said when engine overheats i would get a warning light and a sound. I said well I would like to prevent that before it got that far and kinda got a little smart about why did you put elevation on screen and not engine temp, elevation means nothing because you can adjust for it the computer will. every single other boat at show in this class had engine temp. Just a feature I would like. I do like the 5yr bow to stern warranty on anything and according to the rep, if I suck a rock up and hurt impeller ir sleeve it would be covered (i am little hesitant about that but gotta ask dealer about it)

In the end both are beautiful boats

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finally got a chance to view the Chaparral 243 VRX at the local boat show the other night. I had expected to conclude that the fit and finish was a significant step above the Yamaha. After going through the boat from bow to stern, I didn't see as big of a difference as I expected. I did however REALLY like the exterior styling and the head area was larger and better suited for a port-a-potty. I also got to view the new Yamaha 242 LS and liked what I saw in the sense that they addressed the majority of concerns from the previous version of 24' boats. I don't think you can go wrong with either and they are both beautiful boats. It sounds like they will price out similarly, so I say go after whichever one appeals to you.

Brendon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
Now when you said their price. Do you mean what they're asking, or the dealer invoice? Because if you mean their price I would imagine thats probably a pretty standard deal. After looking at that dealer invoice site Id imagine that if you were a good haggler you could probably get it for 1-2k less than that. Chaparral will also probably do a bit better too to compete with yamaha and to get more out there.

Theres a boat show in Roanoke this weekend and I talked to the chaparral dealership and he plans on having all of the vortex models there, finally get to see them in person and compare size side by side. Cant wait! Also heard they sometimes offer promotional pricing at the boat show. It'll be interesting to see what their 'promotional' boat show pricing will be knowing the actual dealer invoicing.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@fairpilot Did you look at how easy salt water will get dropped into the engine compartment under the Chaps rear deck seat cushions?

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did see the cushions but did not consider the salt water, i will take a closer look. Going to try and do a test drive on one soon.