• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How often should i repack the Trailer Wheel Bearings?

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some background first:
I have had the boat/trailer for since December of 2011. for the first two years i kept the boat on the trailer and put the boat in and out of the water each use. From the trailer lot to the lake was only about 3-5 miles each way. For the past year, the boat has been on a lift at the marina and the trailer has just been sitting in the lot.

I plan on pulling the boat out the the water for Nov-Feb and keeping it on the trailer, but while the boat isnt on the trailer i was wondering if there is any maintenance i should do...

How often should i repack the bearings? I dont trailer a lot, but want to make sure it is in perfect working order in case i decide to take the boat somewhere a few hours away.

Thanks,

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You should keep the bearings greased to the point where the bearing buddy covers are pushing against the springs but still have movement. If you dont keep them greased they will eventually get water in there. You can check them by jacking up each wheel, verifying that the brakes are not engaged, and spinning them by hand.

If they rotate smoothly, then they are properly greased. You should be able to hear/see any bearings that need maintenance.

My old trailer was 6 years old and I never had to repack the bearings. I monitored them every trip by using my hand to test for heat around the hub.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The biggest mistake people make is using the bearing buddy as your bearing service. If you read their disclaimer, keeping the units full does not replace the task of packing the bearings. The buddies sole purpose is to keep a positive pressure in the bearing cavity which will keep water out and they only do that when the spring is compressed. You should check the buddies every time before you launch to make sure the spring is compressed and pull your bearings down once every other year for repacking unless you put a lot of miles on the trailer if fresh water use. If saltwater use, I would pull, flush and re-pack yearly.

Last edited:

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I do mine yearly on all of my trailers

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anybody got a good "DIY" guide for a newb at packing bearings? Finishing up the first full year with my Shorlandr and I want to get some proper maintenance done this fall. Don't see any zirk fittings anywhere...

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You will need to jack up the trailer and pull a hub. Take it to your parts store so they can get you new dust seals for it. Be sure to note what they are for the future and buy a few for the shelf as they are not expensive and get you a good tub of wheel bearing grease. I like the blue kendall brand. Never had an issue with that grease.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I do mine yearly too. I just pump it in until I see greasing come out the overflow hole on the bearing buddy, then let it sit for a half hour or so, wipe clean and done. As others have mentioned the best time to do this is after a haul long enough to heat up your hubs, this forces all the older grease out first.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I do mine yearly too. I just pump it in until I see greasing come out the overflow hole on the bearing buddy, then let it sit for a half hour or so, wipe clean and done. As others have mentioned the best time to do this is after a haul long enough to heat up your hubs, this forces all the older grease out first.
I'm not super familiar with the bearing buddies but I believe that is only adding grease to the outside of the bearings, and not doing anything for the grease in the bearings and definitely not getting to the rear bearing. Without a setup like mine below, you have to take it apart (preferably annually) to repack and inspect. If you have an ez lube setup like mine, you just pump grease through the hollow hub and it is pushed through both bearings and out the front essentially repacking them completely...Its obvious when the new grease has made it through and all the old grease is replaced. I do this annually before my 4 hour tow to our annual lake vacation every July. For regular maintenance, I add a few pumps about monthly if I'm using the trailer that month just to make sure there is no room for water to get in there.

I'd look into replacing your spindles with this setup and you'll never have to disassemble and repack again unless you blow a seal or have another issue...but it's impossible to over grease them and as long as you regularly add new grease, there is no room for water to get in.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really like your easy lube set up @Big Shasta. I"ll be upgrading to those when I rework the trailer.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any links on where to buy these hubs?

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's not the hub rather the axle. It has to be drilled for this.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It's not the hub rather the axle. It has to be drilled for this.
I didn't realize this. I guess I'll keep my mouth shut about my spindles, otherwise I'm just rubbing it in if people can't convert.

I'm pretty sure my spindles are bolted on, I thought all trailer axles were the same.

Last edited:

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good thoughts on the grease and I have mine repacked every two years. One thing I do as part of my launch sequence is check the trailer bearings before backing down into the water while the bearings are warm. This gives me the chance to make sure the bearing buddies have ample grease in them (positive pressure) before submerging them.

Brake fluid also collects moisture (water) in it, so if you have trailer brakes, the brake fluid should also be drained, filled, and bled every two years as well.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Brake fluid also collects moisture (water) in it, so if you have trailer brakes, the brake fluid should also be drained, filled, and bled every two years as well.
Very good point. I have a pheumatic Mighty Vac. I just hook it up to the bleeder, start the suction and crack the bleeder then just add fluid to the reservoir until it comes out clean from the caliper (It's usually easy to tell). One caliper at a time till they are all done. A couple quarts of brake fluid is cheap insurance.

The mighty vac works great for flushing your vehicles brakes as well. It was a great investment.