• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How stiff are the throttles on these boats

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK I have more experience with prop boats but the throttle on mine seems stiff its not smooth at all. It takes some force to move them and to bump the throttle a little you have to tap it with your hand you can't just lightly push it. My throttle on my prop boat is easily moved is this normal for these boats? Throttle cables where replaced in the last year and look brand new could they have been installed incorrectly?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should add that neutral is very soft and the transition from neutral to forward or reverse is easy only tightens when applying throttle.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's a totally different feel. Once you get used to it you won't notice it.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are adjustments you can make in the throttle quadrant that can change the resistance. But as to actual motor response, I can't think of anything.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I suspect somethings not right, the throttle actuator is very easy and light to move, may be your throttles have a friction adjustment?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are throttle tension screws on the rear of the throttle quadrant. You need to remove a small rubber plug to access them. It's very simple to do. Loosen the screws a couple of turns to see if that has any effect.

Are both throttles stiff? Try one at a time. Do you boat in salt water @robert843? Possibly the small rubber boots on the ends of the cable near the Jets have slid down or are missing.

Even though you mentioned they are smooth from neutral to forward & reverse I would still disconnect them at the thrust deflectors to determine absolutely if it's the control cable or the throttle cable. A little more digging will tell you what the problem is.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I doubt you have a problem. When comparing to an I/O boat the throttles are much stiffer. The new 242X has electronic throttles which eliminates this issue. I would assume Yamaha will pass this down to the other models soon. Unfortunately this will not help us.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
one thing that takes a while to get used to (when compared to I/O's) is the transition from F-->N-->R is much smoother. Since there are no gears changing direction and just a bucket moving, these Jet's are very smooth.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmmm.... Changed my opinion on my first thought.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You should be controlling your speed with cruise assist when up on plane and docking. You should only move the throttles if you want to make a significant change in speed. The throttles are too sensitive to use them like an I/O. The cruise assist will help you with that.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I should add that neutral is very soft and the transition from neutral to forward or reverse is easy only tightens when applying throttle.
It is possible your F-N-R cables are fine but your throttle cables are bound up. There are 4 cables that terminate in the throttle quadrant. You could try disconnecting your throttle cables at the motors and see if that reduces the friction but try the first steps I suggested first as they are easier. Where your cables always stiff since you acquired the boat or did it just start?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cables have been like this since I had the boat. I was told they were replaced as the boat had been in salt water and looking at them you can tell they are new. I think it maybe as some mentioned I'm coming from a I/O boat and it was supper smooth you could easily push the throttle forward or reverse . Not the shifting of gears part but the actual throttle was smooth as you applied power. Mine just takes some force to apply power the actual bucket switch is smooth.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cables have been like this since I had the boat. I was told they were replaced as the boat had been in salt water and looking at them you can tell they are new. I think it maybe as some mentioned I'm coming from a I/O boat and it was supper smooth you could easily push the throttle forward or reverse . Not the shifting of gears part but the actual throttle was smooth as you applied power. Mine just takes some force to apply power the actual bucket switch is smooth.
@robert843. It's very possible the previous owner had an issue where the throttle drops back causing him to tighten the friction screws on the rear of the throttle quadrant. It's only a 5 minute job to remove the rubber plug and give each of the 2 screws a turn or two counter clockwise to see if that resolves the issue.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
W
@robert843. It's very possible the previous owner had an issue where the throttle drops back causing him to tighten the friction screws on the rear of the throttle quadrant. It's only a 5 minute job to remove the rubber plug and give each of the 2 screws a turn or two counter clockwise to see if that resolves the issue.
When I back at the boat next week I will def give this a try.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should be controlling your speed with cruise assist when up on plane and docking. You should only move the throttles if you want to make a significant change in speed. The throttles are too sensitive to use them like an I/O. The cruise assist will help you with that.
I know a lot of people use this approach, but I am not a fan of it. When I am coming into a public launch I am either dodging people coming and going from the ramp or waiting for the ramp to clear. When waiting for the ramp to clear, I am constantly playing a game of F-N-R to hold steady or slow my forward momentum. While you can adjust the throttles to limit the lurching forward, jet boats still like to lurch forward a little. I also think controlling the boat via the throttle gives you more control than one of the (3) pre-programmed speeds you have with cruise assist. At minimum, if you are in tight quarters and are using cruise assist, you want to keep your hand on the throttle for any sudden adjustment you might need to make. I do love crusie assist in no wake areas though.

As far as throttle tension, even with adjustment, these boats have stiff throttles that are not smooth and easy like a traditional I/O. One of my few complaints.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I know a lot of people use this approach, but I am not a fan of it. When I am coming into a public launch I am either dodging people coming and going from the ramp or waiting for the ramp to clear. When waiting for the ramp to clear, I am constantly playing a game of F-N-R to hold steady or slow my forward momentum. While you can adjust the throttles to limit the lurching forward, jet boats still like to lurch forward a little. I also think controlling the boat via the throttle gives you more control than one of the (3) pre-programmed speeds you have with cruise assist. At minimum, if you are in tight quarters and are using cruise assist, you want to keep your hand on the throttle for any sudden adjustment you might need to make. I do love crusie assist in no wake areas though.

As far as throttle tension, even with adjustment, these boats have stiff throttles that are not smooth and easy like a traditional I/O. One of my few complaints.
I agree with you. I was suggesting using the cruise assist to keep the rpms up so the throttle would be more responsive while docking. I have no problem using elevated no wake mode rpms while maneuvering around the dock with F N R.

These boats have to be driven differently from I/O's. The throttle is very sensitive so it's just easier to use the cruise assist while cruising to adjust the speed.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had no issue with docking on this boat its actually been easier then my I/O with the twin engines and easy pivot points its pretty responsive. Same at low speed I see no need to get fins as I do not mind it at all at low speed. What I was looking for was that smooth throttle up from the I/O it seems that to go from a slow speed to cruise speed I really have to force the throttle up compared to the I/O I'm sure that is fixed with the newer boats with the electric throttle from the cable.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with you. I was suggesting using the cruise assist to keep the rpms up so the throttle would be more responsive while docking. I have no problem using elevated no wake mode rpms while maneuvering around the dock with F N R.

These boats have to be driven differently from I/O's. The throttle is very sensitive so it's just easier to use the cruise assist while cruising to adjust the speed.
Agree 100% that when you are on the lake using the +/- on the cruise assist is the best way to not only manage smooth acceleration and deceleration, but it also keeps the RPM's of both motors consistent.

Flower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Where are the friction screws you talk about here? I unwrapped the boat for the season and all of a sudden the starboard throttle is super stiff. I lubed the bucket and and tried to shoot some lub in the cable down by the jet pump. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Flower Not sure about the 2015s but I suspect it's the same as mine - on the back of the throttle (the 'reverse' side) there are two plastic covers down near the bottom. These cover the adjustment screws. (See image from 2012 service manual.)

Attachments