• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to add second amp

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a JL XD400, I think, 5 channel amp running 4 speakers and a sub. I'd like to add two more speakers mid boat by the captain's seat and the other side. How do I add another amp to power the two new speakers? I put in a new HU which I believe puts out 75 or 50 W/channel. I was thinking of just running the new speakers off the HU. My existing amp doesn't have any output RCA plugs. I thought I could also split the RCA inputs between amps if that would work if I put in another 2 channel amp to run the new speakers.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How many RCA outs does the head unit have? I would just use a RCA splitter if you don’t have another. For the positive/neg/remote I would just wire to the same spots as your original amp. If you do a lot of floating you might need a bigger battery. And if you don’t already get a tender.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How many RCA outs does the head unit have? I would just use a RCA splitter if you don’t have another. For the positive/neg/remote I would just wire to the same spots as your original amp. If you do a lot of floating you might need a bigger battery. And if you don’t already get a tender.
Splitter was what I was thinking from looking at ways to do the split. HU has 4 RCAs, front. back to the amp

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Splitter was what I was thinking from looking at ways to do the split. HU has 4 RCAs, front. back to the amp
You have three choices:
You can split it with a Y adapter. Or you can use one set of RCA's from the head unit for the new amp. You should be able to set the JL amp into 2ch mode so it only needs one set of RCA's. Don't bother with the head unit to power the speakers, you'll be very disappointed with the output - use an amp to drive the extra speakers.
Or simply connect the extra speakers to your current JL amp in parallel to drive 4 speakers on one set of channels.

I'm running 8 speakers off my JL 4ch amp in parallel and it works great.