• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to clean engine compartment

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Was wondering if you guys could give me any tips to cleaning engine bay. Was looking at the pics @mattschepker had posted for his boat and his engine bay is spotless. I take good care of my boat but just fearful of spraying chemicals and water on all those electrical bits, so the engine bay is not the prettiest in the world. All advice welcome.
(I tried to used the search function but had no luck.)

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All I used was Dawn dish soap a rag and a hose with a spray nozzle. I opened up all the drain holes in the engine compartment and sprayed very lightly with the water. I didn't clean my engine bay for over three years and it cleaned up really nice

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use an old mop and dish soap as well. Plus the garden hose. Cam.

luckie_529

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I laid on my belly and let all of my blood rush to my head. Wiped down with a towel and soapy water.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies. Just dish soap and elbow grease. All this time I was thinking maybe there was some magical "sauce" in a spray bottle that I hadn't heard about.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would go easy with the water hose over the engines and electronics, particularly the ECUs. Won't kill them but it may invite some gremlins...

One member here (sorry can't think of the name!) dots a little Dawn at the bottom of the engine compartment every once in a while, to keep it tidy when it gets wet, I have adopted that method but can't comment yet - too early.

I tend to spray on top of the engines and wiring, kind of sparsely, with 303 Aerospace Protectant. Have been doing that for years. I like how it looks, it both protects and rejuvenates plastics and rubber. I buy this stuff by a gallon, use it for all the upholstery, too. Just make sure the engines are cold!

--