• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to clean zebra mussels out of ballast bags

TMART

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How is everyone cleaning their ballast bags installed in the X series boats to make sure there are no Zebra mussels remaining before going to the next lake?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Getting mussels out of the bags is only part of the issue. You also need to make sure there are no large living in low parts of hoses, pumps, parts of the engines, or your water boxes.

Before putting any boat into Lake Tahoe that's been in another lake, it MUSY go through a mussel inspection and decontamination. This is the clean, drained, and dry. During that process every year, they pump 140 degree water up through the inlet and into the bags. Additionally, they also run this hot water through the engines (as you can never get all the water out of the water boxes). On my 242, this means we typically run one engine and fill the water bags, then when we switch to the other engine, we drain the bags.

At 140 degrees, your engines won't be hurt at an idle for the 10 minutes or so they are running but it is hot enough to kill any living mussels or larvae living in the bags, pumps, or pipes.

I also have two 400lb bags that we use on the boat as well. For these, I remove them from the boat, open the fill valves and hang-dry them in the garage for a week. the pump I use also gets hung as well.

So the challenge becomes how to either get hot water through your systems or find a way to drain them... Maybe some of the people on here may have an idea on how to pressurize your hot water tank drain or put a spigot on the pressurized side of your hot water tank?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm not going to stress about it. All of the inland lakes we use have mussels. I'm just transporting mussel relatives from lake to lake for a visit....

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if you could put a bleach solution in a full/semi full bag and then pump the water out ?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2% bleach solution is effective to disinfect for zebra mussels... Problem can be the corrosion it can cause.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lakes with Decon stations have a heated pressure washer, typically. I just fill the bags with the heated water and pump them out. Then I remove them and open them up to air dry for a week in the summer.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes My son makes them he is home from college 1st week in May. I will pm payment details