• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to get oil back in the lines after engine removal?

GHynes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hello Fellow Jetboaters,
We removed the engine to repair the intermediate drive bearing and while the engine was out of the boat, the oil drained out of the oil pump, so the lines into the engine are empty. Not sure how to get the oil back into the engine and the lines? Anyone have any insight on this?
Many thanks,
G

WildBillF1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Running a little rich won't hurt anything. When I had engines rebuilt on my LS2000, I just topped off the fuel tank with a full quart of oil. They smoked a little more than usual, but I broke the engines in properly. I then changed the spark plugs after I burned through that tank of fuel.

GHynes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
WildBillF1, thank you so much! that is an excellent idea...OMG, can't believe I didn't think of it. Oh dear...gettin' old, i think! ;-)

M@__

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Open the bleed screw on the pump if there's not oil there. Then you can idle the engine and dribble oil in the carbs while holding the oil pump cable open. That will pump oil into the lines in about 5 smokey mins.

Adding oil to the fuel means running less gas, so that means lean. A lot of people do it that way and don't have trouble, but just know you'll be running lean on gas by adding oil to the tank.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Years ago I rebuilt the carbs on my sea Doo. To reprime the oil system I did both of what @m@_ and @wildbill did. I added oil to the gas (as mentioned above) to ensure lubrication. I bled the air out of the oil tank to carb line. Then, While the engine was running at idle, I turned the oil pump to the max setting by hand and released it once the oil had filled the lines. In other words, the oil pump on my engine had a cable that was connected to the carb throttle. As the carb was throttled up, the oil pump was mechanically advanced also. But you could simply advance the oil pump to max flow simply by advancing the oil pump by hand. I was surprised how fast it filled the oil lines.

Keep in mind that I did this on a sea Doo engine so Yamaha might be slightly different. Good luck ;)

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I used to buy and sell a lot of jet ski's I removed the oil injection to convert to premix, which meant I had to get the premix fuel to the carbs, but had straight unleaded left in the fuel lines. I mixed up some premix and put it in a spray bottle, fired up the ski and sprayed premix into the carbs until I knew it was running on premix.

This will work the same way for getting oil in the lines.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One other thing I forgot is most oil injection pumps turn or are run off the crank, you can remove the spark plug wires, and crank the engines until oil is flowing.