• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to know when thermostat is open on 1.8

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im winterizing my 17’ar240,and want to make sure the antifreeze gets everywhere in the cooling system. I assume this happens when the thermostat opens. Is there any good indicator of this with the 1.8?

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Im winterizing my 17’ar240,and want to make sure the antifreeze gets everywhere in the cooling system. I assume this happens when the thermostat opens. Is there any good indicator of this with the 1.8?
@906Tony ....the old fashioned way is to get a pot of water and a thermostat and heat the water to the point that should activate the thermostat and note the result. :cool:

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@906Tony ....the old fashioned way is to get a pot of water and a thermostat and heat the water to the point that should activate the thermostat and note the result. :cool:
I think I found what I was looking for when I ran it on the hose from my oil change. Please correct me if I’m wrong but it seems the stat is on the rear of the engine and dumps out hot water to the right and above the jet pump when opened.

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If someone could explain how the thermostat open/close impact the water flow that would be great.
when I look at the cooling diagram is seems that the thermostat is toward the end of the cooling system not at the entrance of the cooling system where I was expecting to find it.

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If someone could explain how the thermostat open/close impact the water flow that would be great.
when I look at the cooling diagram is seems that the thermostat is toward the end of the cooling system not at the entrance of the cooling system where I was expecting to find it.
Just from what I observed today, once the engine was up to temp the stat opens and lets out excessively hot water to allow cooler water in to certain areas of the engine. But that's just my take on it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I found what I was looking for when I ran it on the hose from my oil change. Please correct me if I’m wrong but it seems the stat is on the rear of the engine and dumps out hot water to the right and above the jet pump when opened.
100% correct. Was going to suggest monitoring that port for hot water. Appears you figured it out though :)