• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

how to make the useless Stove-Burner of the Coleman Grill useful

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
as soon as i got it out of the box, i knew the stove-burner wasn't going to work on the boat. the slightest tilt and anything on there flew right off. i came up with a solution the next day so i could easily saute peppers and onions.

3.jpg

things you'll need:
- saucepan (see below for what to look for)
- aluminum stock 1" wide x 1/8" thick (buy at least 2ft in length in case you mess up the first attempt)
- torch
- vice and hammer
- screwdriver or steel rod (shaft the same diameter as the stove-burner grate)
- rivet (with rivet popper) OR small bolt (with matching tap or nut)

i bought a light-weight 6" saucepan. the body is aluminum and the handle appears to be stainless. the most important aspect of the pan is the handle where it makes contact to the pan itself. you want a handle that is at least near-flat here and preferably thin (maybe 1/8" max) ...the flatter you find one, the simpler this will be.

the first thing to do is make the hook at the grate with the aluminum stock. tightly secure the screwdriver or rod in the vice - you're going to bend a U-shape in one end of the aluminum over this. for my saucepan, i cut about a foot length of the stock so i had leverage to work with (on both ends). getting the depth of the U-shape right is a little bit of experience and a little bit of luck, so it's a good thing aluminum is cheap. scribe a line about 3/8" to 1/2" from the end - this is your depth and straightness guide. get some gloves on and heat this area with the torch. you don't want it to be molten red, maybe just beyond purple so it doesn't melt. once it's hot, line the scribe line up with your screwdriver/rod and start rounding the end over it with the hammer. bend it so the U-shape is nearly 180* back. check fitment on the stove-burner grate - should hook it nicely without binding. you might think it needs to tightly clamp under the grate. i guess you can try this but trust me, it doesn't have to.

2.jpg

the next bend is even more experience/luck intensive. i got lucky and pulled both bends off in one try.
you're going to have to place the pan and hook on the grate (centered over the burner) and mark where the aluminum should bend when connected to the handle. take into account for the thickness of the stock and scribe your reference line. heat this area and clamp the stock into the vice using your reference line. with the hammer, bend it enough so that the bracket will be perpendicular with the stove-burner grate. you might have to do this a few times like i did to get the perfect angle.

now cut off the excess on the pan side. the handle on my pan has a slight curve, so i used my rotary tool to sand out a groove to get a good mating surface. with everything the way i wanted it, i marked where the connection was going to be and drilled my two holes. i used an aluminum pop rivet, but you can use a stainless bolt if you prefer.

1.jpg

i've had this on there many times with large, rolling waves coming through and it doesn't move a millimeter (can't say the same for non-filleted hot dogs!), yet it comes off effortlessly when i want it to. simply tilt the end of the handle and slide the pan forward.

Last edited:

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Great solution!