• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to modify Cobra Jet Steering fins to allow steering cable adjustment/maintenance/replacement

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
On my 2019 AR210, I upgraded my Cobra Jet Steering AK-19 fins to the Super Magnum AK-19 DELUXE version this past spring. I also lubed my steering cables using the method described in the DIY Steering Cable Luber thread. After installation of the new fins, I adjusted the steering cables and the "spread" of the two tie rods to optimize the "play" between the cables/jets, for the smoothest end-to-end helm response possible.

Unfortunately, adjusting the steering cables is impossible to do if you mount the Cobra fins as designed, because the fins get in the way of removing the bolts that thread through the "U-hinges" on the ends of the steering cables.

Therefore, I developed this incredibly simple mod. For each fin and U-hinge:

1. Use an angle-grinder or cut-off tool to shave off the end of the bolt that goes through the U-hinge, such that the bolt end is flush with its locknut when mounted.

2. Mount this now-shorter bolt/locknut combo upside down, so that the bolt enters the U-hinge from the bottom, and the locknut captures the bolt at the top of the U-hinge.

3. With the grinder, cut a notch into the fin where it would otherwise hit the locknut.

With this mod completed, I can now grab the locknut with an open-end wrench, and turn the bolt out of the U-hinge from below — without having to remove the Cobra fin! This makes it possible to adjust, lube, or even completely replace steering cables without touching the Cobra Jet Steering fins!

Photos attached.

Attachments

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In this photo of my 255 FSH Sport E with modded fins, the fins are fully mounted, but the steering cables are disconnected. I'm adjusting the two tie-rods so that the outer fins are toed-in by the exact same angle, as measured relative to the centered rudder articulating keel. The straight-edges that I clamped flat onto the fins and rudder allow me to make a more precise measurement of the angle, by measuring the "spread" (distance between straight-edges) at the front of the straight-edges and comparing that to the spread at the back of the straight-edges.

PXL_20210827_214848776.jpg

After this photo was taken, while the steering cables were still disconnected, I made sure the steering wheel was exactly centered, and then I adjusted the length of the steering cables so that their yokes fit perfectly onto the jets with the same amount of "play" at both yokes. Once the yokes were mounted, I turned the steering wheel lock-to-lock to make sure there was no binding of the cables at full lock.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
For those of you looking at this and cringing I promise you the way I instruct you to adjust the cables and align the nozzles is a lot simpler and quicker. But don't cut the fins it will void your repair or replace warranty.

Last edited: