• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to operate the new iST feature.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The new 2016 Rotax powered boats have the new iST feature that is also known as the 2nd generation iBR on the skis. This system removes the cable coming off of the throttle lever to the reverse bucket, and makes the function electronic. This opens up a few new features on the vessels (boats/skis) like Neutral, and brakes that stop the vessel incredibly fast. This iST/iBR system has won accolades from the Coast Guard.

There is a draw back, and its very minimal. When at a complete stop, then going into throttle, there is a slight delay as the system raises the bucket off of the venturi. This may feel unnatural as we are used to instant acceleration from the manual grate. But you get used to it.

Function:

-Start up: The vessel will always start in neutral. This helps a TON. You no longer have to be a superhero when launching by yourself and push off the dock, then haul ass to the throttle and steering wheel to avoid collision. The boat will start, and remain in place.
-From stop/neutral to throttle forward: System senses throttle on the lever, and raises the reverse bucket.
-From throttle forward to stop: System senses the throttle at neutral, and partially lowers the grate to provide and equal amount of water to the front and rear helping the vessel to remain stationary.
-Neutral Adjust: When the craft is in neutral, it will display "N" on the dash. Depending on the current strength, you can adjust the neutral by clicking the "up/down" select switch on the dash. You will also still have full steering control of the vessel, and can move the bow left or right while in neutral.
-Neutral to Reverse: The system will fully lower the grate on to the venturi when it senses the throttle in reverse. It will show an "R" on the dash letting you know you are in reverse.
-Reverse to Neutral: When the system senses that you are no longer throttling in reverse, and the stick in neutral, it will then return to neutral automatically and the display will show "N".

I use this feature on my new RXT-X 300, and love it. And, I can see how it will be a great addition to the boats. Coupled with the Rotax reverse bucket design, these boats can be maneuvered in the tightest docks with no problem. Just remember, on a Rotax powered boat, you drive the bow of the boat the same in reverse as forward.

I hope this helps!

http://www.boattest.com/engine-review/Rotax/33000133_iST_2016

Last edited:

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you for this post.
I have been preparing myself to learn the reverse/shutoff to extract anything that may get caught up in my VRX (when it arrives). Will this eliminate my ability to use this maneuver?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nope, not at all. The boat will be extremely easy to maneuver. Just remember, DRIVE the BOW. Take a look at the Scarab repository. A ton of info there to help you get a hint of what to expect. Here is one of the videos on steering for your info.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/sea-doo-scarab-glastron-chaparral-how-to-clinx-series.5116/

Thank you for this post.
I have been preparing myself to learn the reverse/shutoff to extract anything that may get caught up in my VRX (when it arrives). Will this eliminate my ability to use this maneuver?

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Excellent. Thanks again and love how you are connecting the dots for the "newbie" Rotax owners.