• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to prevent rust stains on gel coat from rear grab handle

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recently posted a tip on refurbishing the swim platform radio remote so here's another job you can do while you have the rear tray out, I get rust stains on the gel coat from the grab handle on the swim platform and as the rear tray was removed i thought i would stop that so here's what i did, It's a simple procedure and I've used it on a few places around the boat.

IMG_1942.JPG
Ok you have the rear tray unscrewed and supported. Unscrew the nuts at the back of the grab handle.

IMG_1908.JPG This is what I'm talking about

IMG_1920.JPG
Remove the grab Handle

IMG_1919.JPG IMG_1922.JPG If you go down to your local tire fitters they will give you a damaged innertube.

IMG_1923.JPG
IMG_1921.JPG
Cut back and polish the stained gel coat and clean the metal grab rail.

IMG_1926.JPG IMG_1925.JPG
Push the sharp end of the scissors through the rubber in a cross shape so the threaded rod goes through, Neatly trim around the rubber and make some gaskets.

IMG_1929.JPG
Refit the grab rail don't over tighten just pinch it up and gently trim around the new rubber gasket with a sharp blade.

IMG_1993.JPG
Job done and looks a lot better, Don't forget to put new silicon around the tubes and connect the water outlet pipe before replacing the rear tray.

IMG_0975.JPG

I have used this method on several places around the Boat, I made a new boarding ladder grab handle as you can see in the photo like so many mine broke and i used it on that and that was successful also, It's cheap and cheerful and while you have the rear tray out it's only 15 minutes work, I don't like metal bolted straight onto gel coat i think your asking for trouble not just for rust stains but any stress and something has to give and you end up with small cracks in the gel coat and this will also help to prevent that happening, Don't forget just take your time and think about what your doing, If I've forgot anything give me a shout and i will try to help, Were all in the same Boat so to speak.

Attachments

Last edited:

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did this simple job i think last October and i use this Boat in saltwater all the time, I took some photos today of the results of the mod after 7 months and here are the results and this boat is used regularly at least once a week.

IMG_2967.JPG IMG_2968.JPG IMG_2969.JPG IMG_2970.JPG IMG_2971.JPG
Gelcoat still has no rust stains.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where do u get the stainless grab handle because I keep ripping the rope handle

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where do u get the stainless grab handle because I keep ripping the rope handle
Hi Marvin, The stainless grab handle i made myself because i also had many problems with the original grab handles breaking and so after much thought i decided to make one, It proved very good and should have been put on the Boats from new in my opinion, I'm sure if you contact a local company who make windows and stainless security doors they will have the tubing in 316 spec they can make one for you just get a piece of Card and mark out the hole positions then take them a Photo of mine, Oh and don't forget to cut a thin piece of rubber to use as a gasket to stop any rust marks going onto the Gelcoat just an old piece of bicycle inner tube is perfect It's an easy job, Any problem give me a shout i will make one and send it to you! Is your Boat the same model as mine? Good Luck.
IMG_1383.JPG IMG_0968.JPG IMG_0968.JPG

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How do you clean off the rust stains?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do you clean off the rust stains?
Mild acids will remove rust. Bar keepers friend, comet, snow bowl toilet cleaner etc.