• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to re-glue mats

wilreyca

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
C62D44D8-52AA-47B6-83FE-FF02E7071EAC.jpegHello everyone,
Are these the original mats of an SX192 or after market ones? Also, the lower ones are getting unglued. Can they be re-glue? If so what kind of glue do you recommend?

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been fighting this since I got my boat, I dont think the mats work well on the lower platform because all the water seeps in and wrecks the bond. Just redid one of mine over the weekend. I took it completely off and used goo gone to remove the adhesive stuck to the swim platform. After that I made sure to clean the bottom of the mat and the swim platform with soap and water. I left the mat in the sun to dry for about an hour and sprayed down the back of it with 3M Super 77 and stuck it back on. I added some weight on the platform to ensure a good bond. Noticed the other section was coming off too so I'll have to redo that one too. If it comes off again I will probably just throw them away unfortunately.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I've had good luck with contact cement .... not all contact cements are suitable for rubber and fiberglass.

wilreyca

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've had good luck with contact cement .... not all contact cements are suitable for rubber and fiberglass.
Thanks. I found some other post were people are recommending the same. I think that I am going to follow BrandonG on the prep info that he provided but use contact cement for the glue.

wilreyca

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What size of container did you buy?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Clean it with acetone. I use 3M Primer and 3M Adhesive 77 or other of your choosing.
Spray Adhesives | 3M

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

DAP contact cement in the red can. Don't buy the green can. Put a few coats on the mat, a few coats on the fiberglass, wait until it gets tacky, then press the mat down. You need to put weight on it. Like walk around on it or hit it with a rubber mallet.

We use this stuff on the stand up jet skis and the mats get a ton of abuse in salt water. I usually wear the mat down before the adhesive lets go.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Used 3m spray 90 to restick a seadek pad a week or two ago in the bow. 30 seconds of effort. Spray 90 is basically spray contact cement. Stuck better than the original adhesive using the stupid acetone cleaning process. The original adhesive was a low strength double sided 3m adhesive probably designed mainly not to damage fiberglass in any way upon removal. It was to be a temporary adhesive with a lifespan of about 8 years.

Paul Kalamary

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a new AR 250 set of original mats if anyone if interested. Ill take $150.00 and will ship to any location in the US.