• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to remove Black Ink on Vinyl

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My daughter decided to draw tattoos on some the kids this past weekend that transferred onto the white vinyl seats. Anyone have any luck removing black ball point ink from the vinyl? I have tried Boat Bling vinyl cleaner and Simple Green with no luck. ThanksIMG_0634.JPG

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Im sorry but...its not coming off. I work as an leather technician your only chance is to use a white ink to mask it.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im sorry but...its not coming off. I work as an leather technician your only chance is to use a white ink to mask it.
Ugh...that's what I was afraid of. Maybe over time the sun will bleach it out. Luckily it is not that dark but it is in multiple places. I guess time will tell. Thanks for the feedback though.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hairspray removes it in cloth....but not sure about vinyl

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Try the hairspray, it removes ballpoint ink from lots of surfaces.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Acetone removes Sharpie from whiteboards. Ask me how I know. :banghead: Lol

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Acetone removes Sharpie from whiteboards. Ask me how I know. :banghead: Lol
Rubbing alcohol and simple green both will remove sharpie from white boards. We use small "white board" labels on all our gear. Label it with show name, contents etc. When it comes back off show warehouse wipes off with rubbing alcohol. If it gets left there for a long time acetone gets it off.

Warning: Acetone will melt plastic texture off of our road cases. Likely not good for vinyl. Never tried it on vinyl...just a hunch.

Sacamano

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? Sun will probably bleach it with time too.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Careful with acetone as it may take the sheen off of the area along with the ink. Not the end of the world but you could notice the difference in the right lighting.

The sun is probably your best bet here.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will give the hairspray a try this weekend. Not sure I want to try acetone though for fear of melting the vinyl. I didn't try the magic eraser but I know there were posts on here about using them on vinyl. I will need to hunt them down.

I did read about nail polish remover (the kind that does not have acetone). Anyone have experience with how this works on vinyl?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will give the hairspray a try this weekend. Not sure I want to try acetone though for fear of melting the vinyl. I didn't try the magic eraser but I know there were posts on here about using them on vinyl. I will need to hunt them down.

I did read about nail polish remover (the kind that does not have acetone). Anyone have experience with how this works on vinyl?
Nail polish remover IS acetone. Go easy and test on a side of a removable cushion first. Magic earaser is sandpaper -- it would get surface dirt but your stain is deeply imbedded in the fibers.

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Be careful with the magic eraser. It can sand off the protective UV layer on the vinyl if used too aggressively. Not sure I'd even attempt the acetone. You may be able to bleach it out with some mildew remove remover and some time in the direct sun.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Perhaps one of these may help:

10191049_26_600_600.jpg

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To be honest it's not that bad as-is. Leave in the sun a couple of days plus your normal boating and it will be gone.