• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HOW TO: replace the coupler bearing in the bearing housing

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
(referencing a 2005 AR230HO)

my bearing housings for the coupler shaft were shot - the vulcanized rubber had started to separate from the housing (i separated them completely just for the heck of it). i used a cheapo shop press from Northern Tool that is not perfect (as expected), but it does the job.

DISMANTLE
i tried once to remove the coupler from the shaft, but it didn't budge. unsure if it is reverse threaded like the impellers or not, i left it on. so i made a table wide enough for the coupler to fit through and tall enough to press the shaft out:
a.jpg
b.jpg

i found that my 13mm impact socket fits perfectly into the shaft with the internal o-rings removed:
c.jpg
d.jpg

everything lined up and ready to go:
e.jpg

it did not take that much force at all to press it out and the height of the 4x4 with plates was just enough for the shaft to clear the bearing without a reset (total distance pressed was around 0.50"):
f.jpg

REASSEMBLY
the manual is pretty vague on this - there is a page in there that appears to be from an older manual they just cut-and-pasted in. plus, i don't have their fancy stepped (assumed) seal drivers. so i had to experiment and get creative in some instances.

here are the new parts minus the bearing (i did both sides). the seal with a metal ring (referred to here as the metal-ring seal) at the top goes on the aft side (rear) of the housing. the other two are the same and go on either side of the bearing.
G.jpg

i reused the circlips, so i had to pull the seals. there was a lot of salt water corrosion in there. surprisingly, the bearings in both units seemed to be just fine - they are sealed.
H.jpg

aft-most circlip in place and the unit back on the press. the rubber lip that seals the housing halves together prevents the unit from sitting flush, so i placed a large bearing driver under it at the aluminum lip.
I.jpg

pressing in the bearing (which i had placed in the freezer for a few hours). i was careful not to seat the bearing onto the circlip for fear of pressing it too far in the aluminum housing. once i was close, i pulled it off and carefully snugged it against the circlip with the driver rod and a hammer. then i pressed in the seal. again, once it was close, i made it flush to the circlip with the hammer to avoid squashing it with the press.
J.jpg

the 2005 SX/AR230 manual states the distance between the top of the seal and the aluminum lip is to be 6.8-7.2mm. making it flush to the circlip is a tad beyond this, but i'd rather have it too far (the circlip will keep it level) than it be crooked.
K.jpg

flipped over and ready for the next seal (do not install the metal-ring seal until the shaft is installed).
L.jpg
on the first attempt, i tried to install all three seals, then the shaft, then fill it with grease. this was a failure for two reasons: 1) i later learned the grease doesn't go in there that well; 2) i was unable to get the seal to sit level at the outlined depth with a seal driver - i just wasn't happy with it being slightly off (maybe 0.5mm), so i bought another seal and tried a different route...

with one seal installed on either side of the bearing, it's time to press in the coupler shaft. here i used a large socket to again keep the unit from resting on the rubber lip. i prepped the coupler shaft by cleaning it with a paper towel and some Barkeepers Friend.
N.jpg

carefully pressing it in little by little, checking the distance of the aft end of the shaft from the aluminum lip of the housing. i measured two ways. by subtracting the thickness of a spare chunk of aluminum (pictured) and by adding the thickness of a chunk placed on the lip (sorry, not pictured). the manual for a 2005 SX/AR230 states the distance is to be 9.5-10.5mm.
O.jpg
P.jpg

ready for the final (metal-ring) seal. set up the plates so only the aluminum lip is making contact and not the flanges that sit a little deeper.
Q.jpg

here's where it gets tough - time to get really creative.
in order to seat the final seal level where it needs to be without warping it because of the raised metal inner section, i used a 1.50" and 3.25" holesaw to make a giant washer out of 3/16" aluminum sheet i had laying around.
R.jpg

with the grease fitting removed, i filled the area above the installed seal with grease (i use Green Grease for just about everything - the trailer, my Rubicon, now the boat). i went crazy with it to make sure it stayed full.
S.jpg
note the circlip: this is a spare i had from my old shop and i will be using it to get the proper distance on the seal...

the homemade washer is ready to press the metal-ring seal and make it level with the aluminum lip.
T.jpg U.jpg

the seal is flush, but the manual recommends a distance of 1.6-2.0mm lower than the lip. i assume this is only necessary so the entire seal can make contact below the chamfer. this is difficult to accomplish with just the seal driver since there is nothing to flush the backside of the seal against (we are leaving room between the two seals so grease can be added through the fitting, though you'll see below that i'm not convinced how well this actually works). to keep the seal level, but get it just below the chamfer, i used a spare circlip i had laying around that fit perfectly. it measured out to 1.7mm thick all the way around. i placed the clip, stacked on the giant washer and pressed it.
V.jpg

seal is level and where it needs to be. note the excess grease - definitely grease inside there.
W.jpg

both done.
i also replaced the rivet on the right coupler (i removed it when i tried to separate the coupler from the shaft - turns out it just keeps water from leaking into the engine bay).
ZZ.jpg

Last edited:

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I look forward to the reassembly. Did you like that press? I had wondered about it. Most of their stuff is OK but not great. I have a floor jack from them and it worked for awhile (about three years) and then died. The others I have bought (Craftsman, etc.) just go on forever.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
the $180 press is what i expected, which wasn't much. the press shaft and the table aren't square, but i used some washers to shim the plate and got it close enough. to answer your question, i'm not unhappy with it. haha. i had always planned to purchase an arbor press, but they just don't have the working height. and yes, their hydraulic stuff seems to age terribly.
now i'm seeing the Chinese-made Dake B-10 for $321 shipped on amazon (but on backorder). i'm considering trying to return the one i have and get the Dake for future projects.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looking forward to your reassemble pictures.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
TRIAL AND ERROR (and things i learned about the infamous grease fitting)
the first go at making the metal-ring seal level at the proper depth failed. so i drilled a couple holes and used a slide hammer to remove it.
X.jpg

i was very careful because we're all afraid of blowing out a seal, right? well this is about 6 pumps from my gun - about half full. when i was done pumping, it slowly bled out 1-2" of grease over a few hours, which i thought was excess. and it felt like i was getting resistance, but it wasn't even close.
Y.jpg

and here's the other side with 10 pumps - it's even worse. really glad i decided to do them over.
Z.jpg

the grease fitting does not have a check valve - this causes grease to burp back out if there's air trapped in there (which is a certainty and there's no way to get it out). this burping made me think i overfilled it. i'm also not a fan of the long fill tube coming off the top of the engine - that's adding insult to injury. seeing all this, i'm not sure how to go about properly/proficiently greasing this thing as preventive maintenance?? i'm not even sure how maintenance is necessary. the grease doesn't actually grease anything - it just seems to be there as another preventive measure against leaking/corrosion. so i put one of those black rubber nipples used to seal off vacuum lines on each fitting to keep all the grease in there ...shouldn't need maintenance.
note: Big Shasta has reminded me the remote fitting at the top of the engine has the check valve.

Last edited:

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Awesome write up. Just one thing to add. The grease fitting is the check valve. By filling up the hoses that go down there until they are tight. They are constantly putting pressure on it. Does this help much? Probably not if the air has no where to go. They should have an overflow hole on the other side from the inlet. Then you could really fill it. Maybe that's what you need. You could always rig something up with a plug in it so it would only be open for pushing grease through.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Big Shasta ah you're right, the fitting on top of the engine does have the check valve (both of my engines have been out and covered for several months and it slipped my mind).

then again, all this does is keep grease and air trapped in the housing and hose, pressurizing the system and putting it on the cusp of the dreaded seal blowout we've discussed on the forums. the seals are very tight - it took several whacks with the slide hammer to remove them. however, the metal-ring insert on the aft seal popped out easily when i tore the old one apart to get the circlips.
having a bleeder hole might make the system better, but not perfect. if the air traps just right, an air bubble would stay there. BUT we wouldn't have to worry about it over pressurizing. does anyone know if the newer housings have a bleeder hole?

still yet, i'm not sure how concerned i should be on the grease ...i'm feeling like i'd be fine another 10 years if i replaced the grease fitting on the housing with a bolt.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
i mentioned in another post a week ago on one of the forums that if the hose was installed with a looser zip tie, it could blow off or leak here before the housing became too pressurized. i guess that's an option, but it doesn't solve the air-trapping issue.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Excellent writeup!! So if I understand this correctly the bearings are factory sealed on both sides and the grease we pump in is to fortify the water seal and not really for lubrication. Thanks. Cam.