• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HOW TO: stubborn exhaust dowel pin removal

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
(referencing a 2005 AR230 M1)
had a leaky exhaust gasket that caused the manifold dowel pins to really seize inside the cylinder head. tried a few different things to get the pins out without success: heating the aluminum, spraying with PB Blaster, and vice grips. finally came up with an idea that got them out in no time at all using an 8mm die with matching nuts. the only downside is new pins will have to be ordered.

the hardest part is getting the die to bite. the best method i found was to stack two other dies in my socket so my 8mm die's surface was just beyond the socket. it takes a lot of force and quite a few tries to get it to bite and be true. get as many threads as you can but be mindful of the cylinder head and be sure to stop before the die makes contact and gouges the mating surface.
01 die stack.jpg
02 on the pin.jpg

i stacked some washers of various thickness and threaded on the nut. i used a big fender washer to widely distribute any force to the mating surface. be careful not to strip the threads by only lifting the pin out a little bit, then removing the nut and adding a slightly thicker stack of washers.
03 lifting out.jpg

eventually, the pin came so far out that there wasn't enough friction for the nut to turn further onto the pin, but was still stuck. at this point, i grabbed the vice grips and wiggle it the rest of the way out.
04 last pull.jpg
05 done.jpg

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The slide hammer vise grip may also work, if there is room for it. That's a cool method that I will remember. The pins are reasonably hard and must have been tough to thread. Cam.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@CrankyGypsy , that is a brilliant option and thanks for the write up.

I used some pB blaster and heat (propane torch) when wrestling with similar dowels on the jet pump(s).