• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hull damage- 242 Yamaha 2018

Rafee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
IMG_0871.jpegIMG_0868.jpeg
Hit the dock first time taking the boat out. Large structural damage close to the battery. Is this simple to fix? Any ideas on average cost? Could this be a diy?

thanks for the input

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
View attachment 218876View attachment 218877
Hit the dock first time taking the boat out. Large structural damage close to the battery. Is this simple to fix? Any ideas on average cost? Could this be a diy?

thanks for the input
Almost anything above the waterline can be repaired. Cost depends on location you're at. I love in Southern California and I get jealous hearing what people pay for repairs.

Rafee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses. Will call a couple of shops this week, and then consider doing it myself depending on cost.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any chance your insurance will cover it?

IA_210SX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Eek. Was that a concrete dock? Good luck, hopefully who ever patches it can make it better. Almost punched a hole in our last Yamaha hitting a floating lift next to us (Side by side lifts in a two boat slip). Put a heck of scratch in the clear coat and blue coat underneath it.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yikes...That's a nasty impact. Totally repairable. Hell, the hard part and probably most expensive is finding another "A" and "M". Chin up, make it a learning moment and move on. There are those that have hit the dock hard and those that will.

Rafee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like $3000 and at least 2 weeks without the boat. :mad:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
$3k would be cheap here in NCal. I put a quarter sized hole in my hull over five years ago. Cost was around $3,500 (most of it was hand sanding labor). Insurance covered but started to get me back almost immediately with my premiums increasing every year since.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That’s a pretty serious hit. To do it right you’ll need to grind out T least 6-8” around impact to ensure no other hidden damage. I’d say 3k is on the cheap end. This is not something for DIY for a proper fix.

Best advice I have is go as fast as your willing to hit something. You hit something fast and hard. When you come into the dock come in as slow as possible. At 100 yards out you should be in no wake speeds, by 50 yards out you should be at lowest no wake setting. At this point I go back and forth between forward neutral and neutral every second or so. This gets me coming in at less than 1mph. Once I get almost to the dock I give it a tap in reverse to kill most of my momentum.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are not experienced, I would not say this is where to start with the DIY. I believe the proper repair here is going to involve removing that pushed in section and relaying glass from front and back. That will take some skill to get right. Yes, you are above the waterline. But still... if your objective is to not see it in the end (or barely see it), I think that is what you are looking at.

2x on the insurance. That is why it is there...

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Insurance covered but started to get me back almost immediately with my premiums increasing every year since.
Had the same with an insurance claim on a house with a burst pipe, they get the money back over time by raising rates

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have the exact same boat in the exact same color.......this is gonna give me nightmares for weeks......... :)