• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hull scratches from beaching

ROGUE111

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our AR192 came with some hull scratches from beaching by the previous owner. They're not deep, just rough to the touch. Is this something I should get fixed before putting a keel shield on it? If so, any idea what ballpark cost I'd be looking at?

Thanks20170919_071913.jpg

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buy the kit, follow the directions completely and install the keelguard.
Those are not deep enough to make a difference. Most will be scuffed up anyway with the scotchbright that comes with the kit.
You wont see most of that when done

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Agree with @Neutron . You are already halfway there to putting on your keel guard.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I did mine it was a new boat with no scratches yet. I was a bit nervous scratching up my new hull to install it.
For you, that part is already past. :)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
There are always two or more schools of thought. No matter what you do, your going to see what you see now if you beach your boat, with or without the keel shield or keel guard. Early in life I accepted that it was a boat and that was just part of it. Later in life, resale value, pride in ownership, and having the nicest looking boat at gatherings, the easily marked up hull of a Yamaha, the Yamaha swim deck, and more, got me on the stern to the beach approach vs beaching. I wouldn't beach a boat except gently to load/unload in a needed situation. It is too easy to back to the beach, load/unload, or spend the day being able to walk on/off the boat vs beaching and having to climb through the boat all wet and sandy. I would also get those scratches fixed, and that is pretty extensive, if you can feel them, they won't likely buff out without filling. So it could be pretty expensive. Again, keeping the boat perfect isn't possible, but excessive damage is certainly something you can eliminate. Accidents will happen and you can fix those with or without insurance help. My motto is to enjoy my things without inflicting unnecessary damage or create either work or cost to myself. Again, just my thoughts, and everybody doesn't see life the same way.

ROGUE111

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hear you. I don't ever beach but just want a keel shield for additional protection for Murphy's law. You can't even see the abrasions unless you get under the boat on the trailer. Once the guard is on, ill probably buff what I can and move on. I appreciate the input!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ROGUE111 You are getting good advice here!
I would only add that if you have any abrasions that cut through the gel coat (exposing fiberglass/FRP) - I would most definitely recommend fixing those before applying the Keel Shield/Guard.
There are many ways to do it, many here like epoxy. I would always go with the OEM gelcoat, color matched - available from Spectrum via iBoats.

--

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The keel guard is 5" wide (2.5 each side of center). If your scratches are within that measurement, the keel guard will cover them and you won't see them.

ROGUE111

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How does one know if a scratch is deep enough to require intervention? There are a couple good streaks but aren't very deep (barely detected by a fingernail)...20170920_234541_001.jpg 20170920_234417.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How does one know if a scratch is deep enough to require intervention? There are a couple good streaks but aren't very deep (barely detected by a fingernail)...View attachment 64391 View attachment 64392
I would have no concerns covering it up with the keelshield/guard if it doesn't catch a fingernail - the surface prep involves a scratch pad, will all blend in.

--