• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Humminbird Helix 5 Si. $575 Looks like nice unit. Any experiences

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I been looking at side imaging chart plotters for a few years. This is a new unit from humminbird and looks to be a good bang for the buck at its price point.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
GREAT new unit. I have purchased 1 for my Skeeter, to go along with my Humminbird 597 DI. (I do not have it installed yet).

The Helix 5 Side Imager is BRAND SPANKIN' new ! It only started shipping in the last month. The price you listed is EXTREMELY high.
"Normal" price for this (BassPro, Cabellas, etc) is $ 499.00

I have seen it legitimately advertised for as low as $ 438 DELIVERED and with no sales tax, just recently, from an "authorized" dealer. Altho' that price does not "appear" today. It will again, shortly. If you want it now, you can obtain it for APPROX. $455 delivered, no sales tax from several authorized on-line dealers.

Many dealers will only get their initial inventory of the Helix 5 SI approx the first week of March. Here is a quality dealer who will take your order, and ship in approx a week for $ 454 plus a few bucks for shipping. No sales tax.
http://www.bassdistributing.com/Marine/humminbird-helix-5-si-gps-combo-4096401

Also, check out my favorite on-line dealer, Hodges Marine, who will ship early the first week of March @ $454 DELIVERED :
http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Humminbird-Helix-5-Si-Gps-Combo-p/hum409640-1.htm

This is an excellent choice, and is far easier to use, than a comparable Lowrance. Humminbird has a reputation of being far more user friendly.
Right now this particular unit, because of it's "price point," is the hottest thing in marine electronics.

Keep 1 thing in mind: To get the REAL benefit of this unit, you'll need a copy of the LakeMaster Chart (microSD card) for your particular fishing lake(s). Humminbird purchased LakeMaster a year or so ago, and took over its operations. This would be a more effective card choice than Navionics.
That will add an additional $125 to the total cost of this unit.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you DO decide to go this direction, please note you MUST have version "3" which will be noted as a "-4" in the Product number. Version 3 is the latest and comes in a microSD card version (only) which you NEED for the Helix 5 unit. Previous versions shipped using a standard SD card.

If I can help any further, please PM me. Good Luck and Great fishin' to you.
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Mikey

Looks like you also need to purchase maps for unit.
I was looking at these a lot last night mostly researching the sonar sensor. Found out it comes with a (XNT 9 SI 180 T) sensor for transom mount.

If you want to use a thru hull sensor. I read that you order your unit and when it comes do not open the plastic package or wrapping on the the sensor. then contact humminbird and they will exchange for the sensor you want and charge to price difference.

info bellow found on other website with review.
http://www.bbcboards.net/humminbird-sonar-gps/524029-new-humminbird-standalone-helix-5-units-announced-6.html

If you call Humminbird Customer Service, you can exchange the transducer for the one you want. Don't open the transducer package in the box. If the cost of the transducer you want is higher than the Compact SI transducer that comes with the Helix, you just pay the difference.

Humminbird's thru-hull SI transducer will work with the Helix. XPTH 9 HDSI 180 T.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@dan144k - Yup. You are so right. I had to speak to a H/Bird rep to gain the understanding about the GPS mapping. I only go on 1 lake and I am into fish locating - GPS is (was) not all that important to me, But he explained why GPS could even help me.
And that is how I learned from him about making sure I DID order the LakeMaster charts
and
why I HAD to purchase Version 3, which comes on a microSD card. Which the Helix 5 requires.

One of the great things about Humminbird ........ actually 2, is/are:
First, they are located in Eufala, AL< the HEART of big bass fishing ! (ie, Lake Eufala).
Second, they owned by Johnson Outdoors, a company MADE for great products.
Like Minn-Kota - Leader in Trolling motors AND our beloved Minn-Kota on-board chargers.
Then they also own Old Town Canoes, Predator Kayaks, and a lot more.
Their customer service is first class - the only gripe is it might take you 30 mins on hold to get thru at many times. But the reps are full of useful ADVICE< as well as good "answers" to your questions.
Guess you might say I LIKE Humminbird and Minn-Kota. LOL !
Best Wishes, and thanks for the info on transducers. Altho for me I am happy with a transom mount.
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I purchased the di gps version and have not install it yet. but I hooked it up to my power supply and was able to mess with it. I like this one much better than the lowrance Hdi 5. It starts up much faster and it is more responsive also.
Sonar and down scan from the demo looks great. I also picked this one over the lowrance is because of its size. Since it's a widescreen, the height is much shorter. I'm planning on putting it in front of the gauges, behind the steering wheel. Since it's shorter than the Hdi, I can still be able to see all the gauges. It's not the best unit out there, but for the price I think it's a great buy for a very nice unit. The map is pretty basic so I do recommend either the lake master or navionics mapchip. Just make sure you get the micro-sd mapchip.
I will have to echo MikeyL regarding their customer service. They are top notch! I purchased a lake master map online before the unit even came in, and didn't relize that it only take micro sd. Once I relized I got the SD version and the seller won't let me return it, I called hummingbird just to see if they have any suggestion. I was planning on paying extra for some kind of exchange since it was my fault, and did tell them it was my own mistake. But to my surprise, they said just send it it and they will take care of it. Sent it and got the right one back without any trouble or extra charge.
Hopefully the weather in Dfw get better soon, so I can install it.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the older 698Ci side scan and love it. I will be getting a new one for my new AR240 as I'm letting my current one go with my old boat. One key feature I like on the 698 over the Helix is the quick release mount so its easy to take with me when I leave the boat somewhere. I still haven't decided where to mount the transducer and I really don't want to go through hull.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@subysti .......... I am a little confused.
The Humminbird HELIX series uses Humminbird's "Gimbel" mount.
You turn two little knobs and the units comes right off. All that is required is that you then quickly disconnect the cables.
I did not see that as a disadvantage. Am I missing something ?
Mike Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 698 uses a quick mount that you press one button and it disconnects. The wire connections are built in to the mount. Not a real big deal I guess but I know it works and I wont break a wire or lose a thumb wheel. I want to call humminbird to get the lowdown on the actual differences. The website has the 698 listed as HD but not the helix.