• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hummingbird side imaging question

Georgi Slavov

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey guys

so I have to go with second transducer for the side imaging as everyone here knows. I have the onyx unit which came with one of hummingbird's most expensive transducers. My questions it if I am using the y cable to split the signal to left and right do I have to get the same matching transducer or will any other side imaging transducer do the job? I want to see if I can save a few hundred bucks by not buying the same one which came with the unit. Any input will be greatly appreciated. I looked and searched online and nowhere I can get an answer on that. I already emailed hummingbird but no response. I will call tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone has dealt with this given that we all have the same boat.
Thanks

venicebrian

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey guys

so I have to go with second transducer for the side imaging as everyone here knows. I have the onyx unit which came with one of hummingbird's most expensive transducers. My questions it if I am using the y cable to split the signal to left and right do I have to get the same matching transducer or will any other side imaging transducer do the job? I want to see if I can save a few hundred bucks by not buying the same one which came with the unit. Any input will be greatly appreciated. I looked and searched online and nowhere I can get an answer on that. I already emailed hummingbird but no response. I will call tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone has dealt with this given that we all have the same boat.
Thanks
I'd like to know the answer to this question as well.. and hopefully you can update us when your install is complete.

I'm about to start shopping for trolling motors and gps/fish finder... would like to know your final setup components..
Thanks

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did this on my boat. Had to use 2 of the same transducer. Basically if you want sidescan you need to use another of the expensive sidescan transducers.

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yep, you'll need a second side scan just like Subysti said and the Y cable to combine the signals. I had to add a shoot-thru xducer also to get a depth reading at speed. That required a second Y-cable but now i can read bottom at WFO and have side scan from both sides at low speeds. B.O.A.T= break out another Thousand. Figure $250 for the side scan xducer, then $100 for the shoot-thru, $20'each for the Y cable then you're gonna want a Navionics Platinum chip for another $300 and some Lake Master cards for a few more $150 each. Depending on where you live, Humminbird just dropped an aerial map of the entire Louisiana Delta. It looks fine and by far the best thing in my Helix10.

Georgi Slavov

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you guys. That's what I was thinking but I was hoping I was wrong.

Thanks for the input. I will post pictures as I do my install.