• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I am a little unsure of where i should start with oil capacity.

Sfriesen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did some searching and didn't see what I am wondering, so here's my dilemma.

2004 ar230 mr1's

Boat is new to us, only a few uses, oil looks reasonable, but I think a bit low.

I warmed one motor up and sucked it out to where I can see the tank is empty down through the small hole in the bottom, but I only got a bit more than a quart out. (Boat level if not a little upward on the nose)

So I suppose my question is, change the filters and add 3.5 quarts, 4 quarts?

Essentially I want to ensure ive got enough to get on the water and let it warm up to top off, without going over full and swamping an air filter.

This is generally a straight forward deal I know, but with an unsatisfying return on my suck-out, I need some reassuring.

Sfriesen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So based on that I think on the trailer I'll just fill it till it settles in about the "low" indicator or a bit above, then ill fire it up on the hose and give it 15 minutes or so of idle time and top it off.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You may be doing this, but I always put a level on my engine when changing the oil. I would think you should be getting a lot more out than just a quart, unless like you say, you suspect it was low. I usually pull out a little over 3 quarts on an oil change so thought I would suggest making sure you’re level.

Sfriesen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You may be doing this, but I always put a level on my engine when changing the oil. I would think you should be getting a lot more out than just a quart, unless like you say, you suspect it was low. I usually pull out a little over 3 quarts on an oil change so thought I would suggest making sure you’re level.
Yeah I even went past level toward the rear so im thinking they're just simply low. I do like the idea of the level on the air box when I fill it. I should've checked it before and have no excuse for not doing it, but fortunately we didn't use it much at all last year, only a couple very short outings, mostly floating. I saw no metallic in what did come out, so im not terribly concerned.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Measure what you take out. Put back in the same amount. Then I always take oil with me on the first run after changing it, and after warming it up, I check the oil on the water since the boat WILL be level there. I never had great luck leveling it in my driveway.