• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I built a trailer mover

Keith Hebert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've seen those.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need one for launching the boat. The Mrs backs us in the last 3 feet and somehow she almost has the trailer jackknifed. It's lined up! Stop turning the wheel! :)

Keith Hebert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need one for launching the boat. The Mrs backs us in the last 3 feet and somehow she almost has the trailer jackknifed. It's lined up! Stop turning the wheel! :)
It can do that with a couple mods. Will need stabilizing wheels in the rear and a bigger motor to hold position better. I actually have a plan for that in the future.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With those costs you are likely competing with these guys http://www.easi-move.com/easi-move-V2-trailer-mover-powered-electric-trailer-dolly-rv-travel-boat

You can likely beat them on cost but they have a conveinence advantage and in the UK their prices are around £500.
The problem I see with the Easi-move unit is it's permanently mounted to the axle. I think that would be problematic for boating use. I like @Keith Hebert's unit in that it's portable. You have a willing and able test bed within this close knit community @Keith Hebert. I would suggest filing for a patient or at least a letter of agreement for non disclosure if you do so.

Keith Hebert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The problem I see with the Easi-move unit is it's permanently mounted to the axle. I think that would be problematic for boating use. I like @Keith Hebert's unit in that it's portable. You have a willing and able test bed within this close knit community @Keith Hebert. I would suggest filing for a patient or at least a letter of agreement for non disclosure if you do so.
Thank you Gym, I have gotten very motivated to do that. I thought the same thing about the easy move.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Keith Hebert -Sweet! Have you considered electric over hydraulic power plant with solenoid valves in between hydraulic wheel motors? Loads of torque that way with a large abilty to resist various grades and momentum. Just my .02.

Keith Hebert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Keith Hebert -Sweet! Have you considered electric over hydraulic power plant with solenoid valves in between hydraulic wheel motors? Loads of torque that way with a large abilty to resist various grades and momentum. Just my .02.
Whew! sounds complicated.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No so much complicated as expensive. Hydraulic motors work much like dc motors. Instead of electrical current flowing in one direction or another controlled by a dc motor controller you are controlling hydraulic fluid flow in one direction or another with an electric hydraulic power unit. I think the biggest concern with your current design will be holding power and torque. Not much of and issue on flat concrete but if someone wants to store it in their side/back yard or has an incline then I am not so sure how the current design will hold up. You could solve holding power by adding an automatic braking system but torque is a whole other animal. Golf cart motors could solve for the torque but then you are looking at large and expensive batteries. Hydraulics while expensive will keep the needed juice down while adding huge torque and holding power. Don't get me wrong I am not knocking what you have done as it is very inventive and very cool. I am just trying to add some constructive thoughts. Imagine being able to offer a product like yours that could pull a 10K lb boat up a 10 degree ramp yet weight less 150 lbs itself. The hydraulics will function underwater and only a waterproof box would be needed for the control board and power supply.

Keith Hebert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I looked at the motors and they seem pretty easy to implement. I am currently learning about them and their specs... I see that they have very low RPM, trying to figure how much more powerful they are and how to adjust my gearing to make up for the RPM drop. Thanks for the pointer, this is very cool....

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Keith Hebert - No gearing should be needed for the hydraulic motors. They are very powerful ... two small ones will drive a small farm tractor. Instead of using a multi way control you could always just use a two small power units so you are only driving one motor with each. To get traction you could consider a strong belt drive connection tying multiple wheels together or tracks. All told the hydraulic parts might run 500-800 for a single unit but in quantity you could likely do better. Good Luck.