• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I decided on speakers and sub for AR250 - what tuner and amp or amps?

thedon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been all over the place trying to figure this but here is what I have decided to go with.
JL m3 6.5 speakers x 6 - to replace all factory speakers.
Hertz HRM 50 - this has 6 x25 watts rms so this could get me started along with the speakers. I was going to go with a JL head unit but the amp question makes this less attractive as it doesn’t have a built in amp. If I need multiple amps anyway then maybe I would change.

Later on I will add a JL 10” m3 sub and amp - the question are :

for 50 to 60w rms x 6 plus 150-175 watts rms for the sub - is there one amp that will work? Or am I locked into a 7+ channel amp?

If I add 2 8” speakers to the cabin (and use my original 6 channels for those + 2 cabin + 2 bow) could i just use the head units 25w / channel for the swim deck? I don’t think this needs to be as loud because we only use this when the boat is off .

I am not thinking about tower speakers for now - the only pulling we really do is for little kids on a tube.

I put a nice system in my truck - Kenwwod + Focal speakers , JL amp and 2 JL 12” subs but the multiple channels and zones have me confused for the boat

Thank you

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I wouldn’t use the HU to power any speakers. I think you’ll be disappointed, Particularly if you’re using good speakers like JLs. I have 3 amps to power 8 speakers plus a Wetsounds soundbar and a JL sub. I havent looked up the specs for the JL speakers but my guess the recommended power is in the 60-75 W RMS range.

I did look up the specs for the HU you picked out. Nice looking unit but from I can tell the power is 4x25w. That’s peak (their term) power probably not RMS. So you really need probably 2 amps I think. Not sure I’ve seen an 8 channel amp plus a sub channel so you might have to get a 5 channel amp plus a 4 channel amp.

thedon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn’t use the HU to power any speakers. I think you’ll be disappointed, Particularly if you’re using good speakers like JLs. I have 3 amps to power 8 speakers plus a Wetsounds soundbar and a JL sub. I havent looked up the specs for the JL speakers but my guess the recommended power is in the 60-75 W RMS range.

I did look up the specs for the HU you picked out. Nice looking unit but from I can tell the power is 4x25w. That’s peak (their term) power probably not RMS. So you really need probably 2 amps I think. Not sure I’ve seen an 8 channel amp plus a sub channel so you might have to get a 5 channel amp plus a 4 channel amp.

Thank you - I checked and it is 25 w rms x 6

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Interesting. I read their website wrong, I didn’t see 4x25w peak, I saw 4x50w. See the technical data sheet.

But either way it really doesn’t matter because neither 25w RMS nor 50W peak power is enough to properly power those speakers imo and from everything I’ve researched. From what I can see your speakers are rated for 65w RMS.

thedon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow - interesting. I have been looking at the specs on Crutchfield. thank you for posting that

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not a huge fan of using one amp to do everything. I would use a mono block amp for the subs and a multi channel amp to power everything else. There are decent amps out there for cheap. We run some NVX amps in our Maverick X3 and it sounds amazing. One mono block amp running to 2 10" kickers. Another 4 channel amp running to 2 8" kickers and 2 6.5" kickers. We have a Rockford Fosgate head unit powering 2 4.5" kickers in the dash.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not a huge fan of using one amp to do everything. I would use a mono block amp for the subs and a multi channel amp to power everything else. There are decent amps out there for cheap. We run some NVX amps in our Maverick X3 and it sounds amazing. One mono block amp running to 2 10" kickers. Another 4 channel amp running to 2 8" kickers and 2 6.5" kickers. We have a Rockford Fosgate head unit powering 2 4.5" kickers in the dash.
Interesting. Never heard of NVX. Are they truly marine grade like JL or pretend like my Polks? Polks sound decent but they can’t handle the moisture.

How would NVX compare with JL?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting. Never heard of NVX. Are they truly marine grade like JL or pretend like my Polks? Polks sound decent but they can’t handle the moisture.

How would NVX compare with JL?
JL is still better but we put our side by side through some muddy and wet terrain and pressure wash the inside and they have held up for 2 years.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used a JL Audio M800/8v2 it works great. I just bridged the last two channels for the sub.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I used a JL Audio M800/8v2 it works great. I just bridged the last two channels for the sub.
I have an 8 channel JL amp, powering 8 JL 6.5M3’s and one JLM6 10’ sub and am very happy. However I still want tower speakers, lol.

Last edited:

thedon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an 8 channel JL amp, powering 8 JL 6.5M3’s and one JLM6 10’ sub and am very happy. However I still want tower speakers, lol.

this sounds like exactly what I would want....how many watts to each speaker and to the sub?? it seems lik you got more than 8 channels out of it? need 60 x 6 (8?) and the rest for a sub lol. Is this doable?

Last edited:

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
this sounds like exactly what I would want....how many watts to each speaker and to the sub?? it seems lik you got more than 8 channels out of it? need 60 x 6 (8?) and the rest for a sub lol. Is this doable?
I have the sub bridged and then 4 speakers on two channels - the cabin speakers. I did almost all the install with some help from some friends and then had a dealer tune it (to get all the settings right). The dealer was the one who said to use the 8 channel amp to get what I was trying to accomplish done. The front and the rear speakers have their own channels. I did run all new speaker wire as well, if you have more questions let me know. One final note I can’t tell any difference between the 4 speakers running on two channels vs 2 speakers on two channels. Adding the mid cabin speakers was a game changer for hearing the music while driving and not blasting others out. Don’t quote me on the specs but by bridging you get 200 watts to the sub which hits plenty hard in my opinion. Depending on the song it might even be a little too much for me if I really turn it up. When you run 4 speakers off two channels I think you end up around 50 watts per speaker. This is where I think the tuning really becomes important. If you are doing it yourself I would be more than happy to take the cover off and take some pictures of the tune settings.

Last edited:

thedon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the sub bridged and then 4 speakers on two channels - the cabin speakers. I did almost all the install with some help from some friends and then had a dealer tune it (to get all the settings right). The dealer was the one who said to use the 8 channel amp to get what I was trying to accomplish done. The front and the rear speakers have their own channels. I did run all new speaker wire as well, if you have more questions let me know. One final note I can’t tell any difference between the 4 speakers running on two channels vs 2 speakers on two channels. Adding the mid cabin speakers was a game changer for hearing the music while driving and not blasting others out. Don’t quote me on the specs but by bridging you get 200 watts to the sub which hits plenty hard in my opinion. Depending on the song it might even be a little too much for me if I really turn it up. When you run 4 speakers off two channels I think you end up around 50 watts per speaker. This is where I think the tuning really becomes important. If you are doing it yourself I would be more than happy to take the cover off and take some pictures of the tune settings.

Thank you that would be great ! I wont be doing this until Spring summer so no hurry at all

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thank you that would be great ! I wont be doing this until Spring summer so no hurry at all
I will tell you if your only going with one sub and sticking with JL the dealer highly recommended going with the M6 for the sub vs the M3.