• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I finally forget my Clean-out Plugs!

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, after almost 4 years of never forgetting my drain plug or my clean-out plugs, I finally forgot the clean-out plugs on Sunday! This is the first summer with the boat on a boat lift at our lake house, and I'm still trying to figure out a new routine. I had a good system down when we had to trailer the boat all of the time, but I haven't been out enough this year to come up with a new routine.

Fortunately, I could tell something was wrong as I was backing the boat out of the lift, but the wind was blowing towards shore, so I had to idle out a little ways so I could shut down the engines, pop the plugs in, start her back up, and be on my way before the wind blew us back into the boat lift or into our pier. So, no harm, no foul.

I've also forgotten to turn off the battery switch once, and came down in the morning to a dead battery. So I really need to come up with a new routine, so that I don't keep making these stupid mistakes. Probably need to write down a checklist, and use it until I have it ingrained into my head, like I had my old routine.

I mine as well jinx myself to finish off the post, I've still never forgotten my drain plug or ran over a ski rope!

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The wife and I had our first big miss just yesterday. Boat was in the water and I wanted to put it on the trailer and get it out. Backed truck up to the trailer, unfolded the tongue. Hooked everything up pulled the chock blocks, drove over to the ramp and backed in. I ran over and got the boat, put it on the trailer, hooked it, winched it, looked down and noticed I never put the tongue pin in. Glad I caught it when I did. Granted we were not going far but that could have been disastrous all the same! We weren't in a hurry by any means, I just was not thinking!

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
2nd time out this year I forgot to take the rear tie downs off the boat. Backed in and couldnt get it off the trailer (thought the ramp was too shallow). Back in to the other side of the ramp and same problem- couldnt get the boat off. Pulled out and was about to head home when I realized the straps were still on :eek:

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I start my check routine from the back straps and work my way to the front straps. Tie down straps, drain plug, clean-out plugs, battery, etc. all the way to unhitching the bow. I had to get in some kind of routine because I've left my drain plug out once, tried to trailer off without undoing tie downs or unhitching the bow. This strap-to-strap process seems to work for me.

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2nd time out this year I forgot to take the rear tie downs off the boat. Backed in and couldnt get it off the trailer (thought the ramp was too shallow). Back in to the other side of the ramp and same problem- couldnt get the boat off. Pulled out and was about to head home when I realized the straps were still on :eek:
Funny now but Im sure it wasn't at the time!!!! This is one I am expecting us to encounter as well..... another thing off of the check list! LOL

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What I do is leave a piece of red gimp (like plastic string) hanging about a foot out of my cleanout hatch. It's my reminder to make sure my cleanout plugs are in and my tow valves are open. I took this from my aviation days when there was a cover with a long red flag hanging from the pitot tubes. If you don't see that not only should you not be boating, you should not even be driving.

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What I do is leave a piece of red gimp (like plastic string) hanging about a foot out of my cleanout hatch. It's my reminder to make sure my cleanout plugs are in and my tow valves are open. I took this from my aviation days when there was a cover with a long red flag hanging from the pitot tubes. If you don't see that not only should you not be boating, you should not even be driving.
I need to get some lanyards sewn.... INSTALL BEFORE FLOAT!!!!!!!

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
"REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" How well I remember, and having been aviation so long....I have a Pre Launch/Pre Departure checklist. I know...kinda anal.....but I have forgotten some stupid s***t before. Even at that, there are times when I have looked like a rookie/fool. At 70, some might say I am lucky to even FIND the boat :)

Attached is my checklist! I keep one at my dock, and one in the boat. Use it, trash it, cut it in half, roll it on a 6 inch cardboard tube and install in the head......whatever floats your boat! :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also put a piece of red gimp on my wife. :p