• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I need a GPS - Bimini in mind.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I need a suggestion on a GPS unit (I dont fish so fish finder is not a feature I need).

I was looking at the Raymarine Dragonfly 5. This good?

It also comes with several maps options but I could not figure out what I needed.

I boat 99% of time in KY and TN, with a 1 time trip planned to Bimini....

Am I on the right track? I need to get this thing bought and installed ASAP

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need a suggestion on a GPS unit (I dont fish so fish finder is not a feature I need).

I was looking at the Raymarine Dragonfly 5. This good?

It also comes with several maps options but I could not figure out what I needed.

I boat 99% of time in KY and TN, with a 1 time trip planned to Bimini....

Am I on the right track? I need to get this thing bought and installed ASAP
I have that (chartplotter only) and really like it. My came preloaded with Navionics+ (Premium or II?) - which is awesome as it includes the part of the Caribbean. It is super simple to operate and very resilient unit that will take any amount of beating and soaking water and will keep you on course - the polarized screen is superb for visibility in any conditions including in bright daylight/sun.

There are several cons.

The unit is not a touch screen, it does not route (it does but in strait line I think, lol), and it is less friendly to program than a cornered rat, it really is almost laughably bad. I managed to download some waypoints from a micro-SD card (thank you @Julian) but it was a huge pain.

As a basic navigational tool (and I do mean basic) - this unit is a beast, it will not leave you stranded in any kind of weather or conditions. If you can get it with the included Nav+ it is the best deal money can buy, hands down, IMO. Also very easy to mount and just about the perfect size for a basic unit.

But - if you plan on putting a lot of coordinates and use it to find various new spots (by GPS cords) - forgetabouit! it will drive you insane.

--

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cell with Navionics is the lowest cost method. It seems like sticking to any of the big names won't be wrong. I have a Garmin Echomap 64CV (has a fish finder) - I still prefer the cell phone due to its dock-to-dock nav feature and ease to plot.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just speaking of tablets, I bought an iPad mini 4 with gps and a Ram mount (same one someone just posted somewhere for a phone holder). Works very well. Screen is larger than a phone, but not huge.

Haven’t done many trips with it, and still a little confused on Navionics... but I think it’ll do what it’s supposed to.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'd recommend a Simrad GO unit (5 or 7, depending on size preference).

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

LayneG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have that (chartplotter only) and really like it. My came preloaded with Navionics+ (Premium or II?) - which is awesome as it includes the part of the Caribbean. It is super simple to operate and very resilient unit that will take any amount of beating and soaking water and will keep you on course - the polarized screen is superb for visibility in any conditions including in bright daylight/sun.

There are several cons.

The unit is not a touch screen, it does not route (it does but in strait line I think, lol), and it is less friendly to program than a cornered rat, it really is almost laughably bad. I managed to download some waypoints from a micro-SD card (thank you @Julian) but it was a huge pain.

As a basic navigational tool (and I do mean basic) - this unit is a beast, it will not leave you stranded in any kind of weather or conditions. If you can get it with the included Nav+ it is the best deal money can buy, hands down, IMO. Also very easy to mount and just about the perfect size for a basic unit.

But - if you plan on putting a lot of coordinates and use it to find various new spots (by GPS cords) - forgetabouit! it will drive you insane.

--
What do you recommend? I’m looking for one too. I’ll also going to get the Garmin inTouch for the Bimini trip

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I just installed the echoMAP CHIRP Plus 73cv (Lakeview) and purchased the G3 coastal maps (from Garmin-great deal) which includes the Bahamas. First GPS unit with a touch screen and I love it. Sooo much easier and way faster than directional arrows. I also attached it using RAM mounts. These things are incredible. Literally put the unit right where you want. Awesome!

LayneG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I ordered the Axiom 7 yesterday for Bimini. Prepping for the trip costs a fortune, especially when it has to be done in a couple of weeks! :eek:

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went with a galaxy Tab A 2017

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Download mx Mariner. Comes with full charts and works great without any cell signal
I would NOT want to be without a real chart plotter in the middle of Florida Strait, relying on a phone or pad.

I really do not think it is a good idea.
Running around a lake with maps on an iPhone? - sure. But not on that trip.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would NOT want to be without a real chart plotter in the middle of Florida Strait, relying on a phone or pad.

I really do not think it is a good idea.
Running around a lake with maps on an iPhone? - sure. But not on that trip.

How often does your phone stop working? My gps (delorme) broke on a trip, but my phone hasn't. I've used it navigating the Mexican border waters and from San Diego to Catalina 2x without issue (about 70mi in open ocean). Have a second phone if your worried. Make sure to try it before you leave!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would not do to Bimini without a marina grade GPS device. I did write somewhere here a long explanation but here are the bullet points.

• Iphones/ipads/trablets etc tend to overheat in direct sunlight and drain the battery FAST.
  • is you think you can charge, then you are "wrong". charging a device heats it up, so you are double screwed
  • those devices also shut down it they get too hot.
  • say whatever you want about the Bermuda Triangle, but my ipad shut down and we could not restart it. As soon as we arrived in Bimini it turned on again
  • these devices are great when the condition are good ( ie 2018). When the shit hit the fence and you need them ( ie 2017) they tend to malfunction.
As far as I am concerned, on my next Bimini trip I am adding and additional chart-plotter to my echomap740.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How often does your phone stop working? My gps (delorme) broke on a trip, but my phone hasn't. I've used it navigating the Mexican border waters and from San Diego to Catalina 2x without issue (about 70mi in open ocean). Have a second phone if your worried. Make sure to try it before you leave!
The battery will discharge within two hours or less unless plugged in. Salt water ruined my charging cables during both Bimini (one week) trips, Florida salt is just vicious.

I can not see the phone screen very well in direct sun, or wearing polarized sunglasses. I can see my chart plotter crisp and clear in any conditions. It does not flicker or discharge or overheat.

If you get caught in a real storm - good luck navigating with your phone.

Me - no fucking way I would want to be doing it. Don’t get me wrong, cell phone navigation is fantastic these days, but it is not meant to be a substitute for a real water proof and weatherproof chart plotter so if you chose to do that please at least mount a compass.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I used navionics on phone for bimini. Wife's phone had it as backup. Tablet in dry bag as another backup. I buy the samsung active phones which have served well. Also had a map provided by our host. Also took note of compass headings on my digital readout on gps speedo i installed.
I found 2 things lacking. Knowing what points to go to on phone and map and putting it in as coordinates. Second was that with a vhf that is dlc capable and a chartplotter hooked up and capable you could get mmsi numbers and see boats from the group on chartplotter. I really would like to set that up but am in need of a plotter to do it! Phones won't cut it here.
A plotter would be superior for these reasons to me.

Another note: i believe there have been complaints of tablets overheating so take that into consideration when mounting and buying a case etc. I would venture to say that won't be an issue with nearly any plotter.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A cellular device should no more be used for primary navigation on the crossing than it should be used for reliable communications. That is to say it should not be relied on exclusively for either of those uses. Get a good mounted VHF with an 8 foot antenna and get a good modern GPS/Chartplotter. Any of the better models available from the most common big brand names should serve you well and are highly recommended. The piece of mind they will provide is more than worth the expense.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe my phone is way better than yours. I have a note 8. I've done at least 6hrs in direct sun 115f Arizona heat while it was mounted on my dash using the gps and streaming music. All my chargers are Qualcomm quick charge 3 and have no issues charging ever. It gets better than 1% per minute of charge while using it. I navigated San Diego Bay in 10' visibility fog off my phone. My phone is rain proof, easy to see with sunglasses, and easy to see in direct sun. The only way i would ever justify a $1000+ chart plotter is on a dedicated ocean going fishing boat. A compass is the only additional tool needed as a backup. If money is no object, go for the $10k+ raymarine setup like my fishing buddy has. It's slick. Radar overlay on gps with auto pilot navigation.

20180930_111300.jpg

Attachments

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe my phone is way better than yours. I have a note 8. I've done at least 6hrs in direct sun 115f Arizona heat while it was mounted on my dash using the gps and streaming music. All my chargers are Qualcomm quick charge 3 and have no issues charging ever. It gets better than 1% per minute of charge while using it. I navigated San Diego Bay in 10' visibility fog off my phone. My phone is rain proof, easy to see with sunglasses, and easy to see in direct sun. The only way i would ever justify a $1000+ chart plotter is on a dedicated ocean going fishing boat. A compass is the only additional tool needed as a backup. If money is no object, go for the $10k+ raymarine setup like my fishing buddy has. It's slick. Radar overlay on gps with auto pilot navigation.

View attachment 93804
Oh, your phone is clearly better than my iPhone, LOL. Those features change everything.
Money is always an object! I paid something like $250 for the Raymarine dragonfly 5(?), chart plotter only, which is about as indestructible as a brick, came with Navionics+ built in .
That’s the fifth of the price I paid for my new iPhone, LOL.
Just to clarify!
:cool: