• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I think my steering cable broke yesterday...

leftcoasterfl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My boat is a 2016 190 Delux with about 180 hours...
Yesterday was the first day I took the boat out since Ian.
My steering was totally stuck. So I tried lubing it and turning the wheel back and forth. Eventually it broke free...
But...
So I went to the ramp and dropped in...when I got on the boat, the steering was stuck again. It took a lot of power to break it loose. When it did it made a pop! It seemed to work, so I went down the canal and when I tried to turn left I just kept going straight. I could turn right but soon after that didnt work anymore too. I had to be towed back to the ramp.

So I am pretty sure the cable broke...correct? :)

Is this a hard job to do?...it doesnt look too bad. I did see you may need a o2 sensor socket to get the nut off the transom...has anyone done this before? Thanks

leftcoasterfl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So I took out the cleanout try and yep - it is right down there...I just ordered the cable. Now to get a 22MM o2 socket :)

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That should be a pretty straight forward job. Count the turns on the steering clevis when you pull it off the old cable. Use the old cable to pull the new one through. hook and seal everything up and Bobs your uncle.

leftcoasterfl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
@Dixemon you were correct.

The only thing that was slightly strange was that the cable did go at an angle from the engine compartment though to the bilge area.

Wow - much better steering feel and flow than even when I bought it.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Make it appart of your annual maintenance to lube the cable, and it will last much longer.