• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I think the steerings fins are needed on the 2015 24's kinda...

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK maybe not for everyone but if you're on a river with a fair current and you're used to an I/O then maybe you should have the fins. Had boat our for the 3rd time today and came in a little too hot when loading it on the trailer. The current caught me and then the wind and there was nothing I could do with the week reverse. Boat looked like someone swallowed a toothpick sideways between the 2 docks. Luckily right as my wife was shrieking at me in some alien voice she kicked the rear of the boat out and we only ended up with about a 1" scuff on the starboard aft quarter. always some excitement. Think the fins may have kept the rear under a little better control.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad you made it out with minimal damage. Remember that you need to really rev the motors up in order to move the boat the way you want in reverse.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad your damage was minimal. Its all about practice. Go out without people and spend a couple hours "dock crashing" (was the term we used in the Coast Guard when I was in.)

For me more fins would only be something else the current can grab onto. I have contemplated getting the thrust vectors but we have big current here at a few of the docks we use. I went out and spent a few hours one day before bringing people out with me practicing at those high current docks. I don't really think the paddle on these things really helps as much as they say it does, especially in reverse.

Not sure why BRP has reverse figured out and Yamaha can't get it figured out. My old Sea-Doo was actually limited to 1/4 throttle in reverse, and that was more than enough. That thing would rip in reverse pretty quick.

Wind plays hell on these (and all jetboats) since they draft almost nothing and have no lower unit essentially holding them. The trick is using the wind to your advantage, anticipate where the wind will push you and plan for it.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you have to load your trailer in cross currents with any frequency, highly recommend installing some trailer guides like VeVe or Smith.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have cobra jet fins in my boat and usually power load but today the sustained winds at the ramp were just to high for me to drive the boat onto the trailer just a boat length or so away on an interior ramp. My wife and I walked it on to the trailer until it was pivoting on its bunks than drove it on the rest of the way. All that to say, fins would help but not much at all in high cross winds.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@subysti ............ I do not understand why any sane, rational, clear-headed or cloudy headed American boater would even consider for a 1000th split second taking out a 2015 24-footer without Will's (@JetBoatPilot) THRUST VECTOR XV's !
WHEW ! Glad I got that out. I feel better now.
My Best to everyone. We are ofF to Lake Murray SC for 4 days of acting more "child like" than we even do normally !
Mikey Lulejian - <Normally> Lake Oconee, GA <today> Lake Murray, SC

Last edited:

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you have to load your trailer in cross currents with any frequency, highly recommend installing some trailer guides like VeVe or Smith.
THIS is so true. I always forget that not everyone has them. No Way I would have a trailer without them.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad the boat isn't damaged much. The good news is now the first one is out of the way! HA The trailer guides will really make a difference. Reverse is important to learn and you really have to give her throttle to make a big difference. I hate when you have to battle the wind and current. I would also try to come in faster to avoid giving the rear end more time to swing. The guides will make your life a lot better!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
3rd time out in crosswind might be a tall task with or without fins. I would chalk it up to lack of experience and practice vs. fins or no fins. For crosswind I would come in with bow in slightly in to the wind and as approaching the trailer a little throttle burst to go a little more into the wind slight off center with trailer (which is counter intuitive), then burst back to go center trailer and bring stern around. I've seen a dozen of other jetboaters loading over the years the biggest mistakes I see are the trailer too deep that will keep the boat from self centering, or coming in under power and then coasting. Coasting in a jetboat puts you out of control.

I guess some folks need fins or feel better with them, and that's cool, but we've never seen the need.

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
boat ramps....causing divorces for nearly 100 years...
Oh, sorry...this is about the fins...interesting to hear...

Westbeach Bum

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need to order a set of fins soon. As soon as I get my cover the fins will be next. I found out Saturday the cover is back ordered until June 15.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When we tested our new 24 footer we found that the new rudder did help some but the addition of the fins really made a remarkable difference. Keep in mind that the only way a rudder has any influence is to get the blades in solid non cavitated water. The articulating keel only protrudes about three inches beneath the boat in what we call non-cavitated water. Non cavitated water is water that has not been broken up or frothed up by the boat.

Adding the fins helped us and we are getting feedback now that they are helping others too.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
email me I have a new system that is being tested right now. this is going to be very popular once I release it to the public. Jeff@cobrajetsteering.com