• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

I think the stereo remote bit the dust...

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We went out for one day this weekend. Had a great time (sorry, no pics--just me and kids doesn't allow attention to photos).

However, on the way back, I got the classic 'bad remote' symptoms. The receiver started changing channels, volume going up by itself, wouldn't mute (that was fun), wouldn't turn off, etc...

I pulled the remote at the back and unplugged it back there, which got us tunes again for the ride in. At the ramp, it started acting up again (not surprising as I had the unplugged part in the back held there by tape...). Next weekend is the church men's lake retreat, so I need to get things operational this week!

So, your opinion, please:
1) Unplug the remote near the receiver and to heck with it? I assume you can unplug it up there somewhere...
2) Replace the receiver so I can get a decent remote with it someday? If this option, replace with what?

I just installed the JL 6600 amp and a sub this winter. Other speakers are all stock.

Thanks in advance,

It's tough to diagnose when it's not acting up and when everything dries out it might function properly again.
Internally within your source unit the remote control commands are in parallel with the unit's control panel commands. So if there is any problem with a remote control you can lose all functionality on the source unit panel.
There is a remote control cable disconnect behind the source unit. Hopefully with this disconnected all source unit functions will be restored. If not then it is within the source unit.
Depending on your transom remote location, stopping and backwash can temporarily submerge that remote. It won't tolerate that. A little splash should be okay. But the sun and heat can deteriorate gaskets and seals. Pressure washing at any level is a definite remote killer.

Thanks.

The transom remote is just in the stock location. With all the kids swimming and jumping and climbing, etc., I am sure it was well soaked. (I have not been dumb enough yet to try to pressure wash it--I am sure I would have some day...) But whatever solution I have back there has got to tolerate that. Otherwise, what is the point of a transom remote?

I'll probably just unplug it. But pretty disappointing. I have read enough here to not be surprised, but still disappointed.

Back