• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stereo replacement with custom ignition panel

mntnresq58

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey All,

I've had my new to me 2005 SX230 for about a month and a half, and in six outings have found I'm really pretty happy with it, though there are many little tweaks/projects/customizations yet to come, (and others already done I'll mention elsewhere).

One thing that didn't thrill me was the stock JVC head unit and such. I run most everything music wise in my life off my phone, and obviously, there isn't bluetooth on those ancient things. Add that my removeable face kept self-removing, I was ready to punt.

There are of course still a lot of options for DIN style head units out there, but even with a remote, that would mean getting into the glovebox more than I wanted to. I also wanted zone control, and the option to add cameras to the system, if I decide to go that route instead of a mirror or whatever for tow sports.

Lots of options there too. But did I mention I'm cheap? I don't need a $10k system in my boat. My crew can never agree on what kind of music to be played, so it's often played at a barely audible level anyway. So, I found a nice, inexpensive media receiver with a wired remote for the stern which rang all the bells (Rockville RGHR45 - $175, Amazon.com).

Next, I wanted it to be accessible from the Capt's position, and the first place I looked was where the JVC remote was. The Rockville is obviously bigger than the JVC, so time to break out the tape measure, calipers, CAD Software and 3D printer. 4-5 versions later, I found a workable solution. The space available there is BARELY big enough, but it does fit. It did require a tiny bit of trimming on the back panel to fit the circuit breakers for the blowers, but no big deal. The limited space also meant changing the factory blower switch for something smaller, but I kind of intended to do that anyway. Future plans involve getting rid of all the individual switches alltogether, and adding an 8-12 gang remote circuit control panel for all the "ancillary circuits", and move the No Wake Mode switches to the blank switch positions on the throttle control, so the different style switches doesn't bother me for now.

The attached images are the V5 beta piece. I am printing a new "final" version now which should be a perfect fit in the space. The beta is also printed on black PLA that I had laying around. The final will be a grey PETG which is a closer match to the color of the original panel, and more heat resistant (black PLA in 100deg sun for the afternoon doesn't fair well... ). I also still need to print a filler/block off plate to install the swim deck remote. The new one is just a 2" round, and have to fill the hole from the original JVC .

Future plans will include a Sub, some slightly upgraded speakers, and a sound bar on the yet to be added tower (I HATE bazooka speakers on a tower, can't tell you how many times I've hit my head on other people's).

Anyway, thought I'd pass it along. I'll try to get some more pics as I do the final version. Haven't seen too many folks changing the layout of their OE systems just to accomodate what they want, so seemed worth sharing.

Attachments

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How thick is the backing plate you printed and dimensions? From the size, it doesn't seem like it would flex much, but that seems like the thickness would contribute to it as well

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I also have that same Rockville Head unit. I am very pleased with how well it performs. All of my outputs are going to amps but love that it has zone controls and Bluetooth was much more range then the crappy Jensen head unit my boat came with.

Last edited:

mntnresq58

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How thick is the backing plate you printed and dimensions? From the size, it doesn't seem like it would flex much, but that seems like the thickness would contribute to it as well
The current one is .25", but printed at about 20% infill. The next one will be .175", at 80%, which should be plenty. I am going to try to do the final version with stud mounting like the original panel. Will see how that holds up. Can always go back to through holes. The panel overall is about 5x8.

Last edited:

mntnresq58

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also have that same Rockville Head unit. I am very pleased with how well it performs. All of my outputs are going to amps but love that it has zone controlls and bluetooth was much range then the crappy Jenson head unit my boat came with.
Yeah, so far so good. Amps will come in the future, but the high level outputs work for now. Actually, the main output connector plug on the new stereo is the same as the one from the JVC. All I had to do was move 2 pins on it (main power and ground were backward), and plug it into the factory harness. Saved me a ton of splicing.