• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cover between Clean Out Ports

LoWeLL216

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone,

Is the cover(?) between the clean out ports supposed to be removable or should it be sealed?

Mine looks like it's sealed, but only partially. I noticed a lot of water back there last outing.

Attachments

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
It’s supposed to be removable, and water definitely seeps through it because of the clean out ports. Jet boat pilot makes a riser to elevate the cover, so water doesn’t get through it.

LoWeLL216

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stupid question - what's underneath it?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Stupid question - what's underneath it?
The actual bilge of the boat. You’ll also find that’s where the water box (muffler) is.

Water gets in there when you come off plane. That compartment is meant to be “wet storage” and it has a drain. The tubing for the drain runs down and exits near the waterline back by the jet pumps. There is no check valve on that tubing so when you come off plane water rushes up the tubing and dumps in your wet storage compartment. That is why you see water on top of the cleanout plugs.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Water gets in there when you come off plane. That compartment is meant to be “wet storage” and it has a drain. The tubing for the drain runs down and exits near the waterline back by the jet pumps. There is no check valve on that tubing so when you come off plane water rushes up the tubing and dumps in your wet storage compartment.
I can verify that adding a check valve to the tubing for the cleanout tray drain makes zero difference. I added this one below, and after having still having water in the cleanout plug holes, I tested again after corking the cleanout tray drain. Also zero difference. Enough water makes it past my rubber seals on the cleanout plugs to fill all of the area. I was hesitant to pick up Will's riser, but I've done everything other than sealing that hatch off, I just didn't want to throw the coin at that riser without anyone responding about their results. The one video I came across showed how to install it, but didn't really address whether it solved the problem, or how well it really worked.

Thanks for everyone's help - I installed the riser this weekend and was shocked at how much it reduced the water.
This is info you should share with others. Firsthand experience and what the difference was in your situation is invaluable information for those like me who were holding out. Good to know.

Last edited:

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for everyone's help - I installed the riser this weekend and was shocked at how much it reduced the water.
Link to the riser ?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Link to the riser ?

LoWeLL216

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The link above is exactly correct.

Also, my results were basically identical to this video (the before and after) :

Kevin Collins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I lost the cover itself and cannot find the part online anywhere. Any help?

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
I lost the cover itself and cannot find the part online anywhere. Any help?
I’d order it from your local boat dealership. I ordered a part from Yamaha Sports Plaza and it took 6 months to arrive. The dealership might be able to use their parts lookup system on a National locator to find one at another dealership. Or you could make a temporary one out of hdpe plastic and some peel and stick gasket material. I wouldn’t run without the cover, and I wouldn’t go 6 months without using the boat either.
Generic, HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) Sheet, Opaque White, Standard Tolerance, 14 Thickness, 24 Width, 48 Length by Technology Island (24 X 48) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095MFRJHX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_NSKQ0K22VSVP5Z7FA3AT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

ImHowl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The cover gives you access down into the bilge area. It is supposed to be removable. Yamaha did a HORRIBLE job at sealing this area up on my 2020 AR240. I was getting gallons of water in my bilge every outing. Water was not splashing over the deck on deceleration. If I went hard reverse, I could get a tiny amount pushing up from the drain, not enough to make any difference. All the water was coming past the clean out ports. How do I know this? I stuck a GoPro video in there and recorded it. Youtube link below.
I would remove the entire cover as seen in the photo. Clean up the area, and reseal. I also added the access port riser from Jetboatpilot. I filled the area with water and plugged the drain with my finger and can confirm it is now water tight up to the top of the access port.
IMG_7999.jpeg

notaclue

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wow - great info. I have the port riser in garage waiting to install. Hopefully that does the trick.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The cover gives you access down into the bilge area. It is supposed to be removable. Yamaha did a HORRIBLE job at sealing this area up on my 2020 AR240. I was getting gallons of water in my bilge every outing. Water was not splashing over the deck on deceleration. If I went hard reverse, I could get a tiny amount pushing up from the drain, not enough to make any difference. All the water was coming past the clean out ports. How do I know this? I stuck a GoPro video in there and recorded it. Youtube link below.
I would remove the entire cover as seen in the photo. Clean up the area, and reseal. I also added the access port riser from Jetboatpilot. I filled the area with water and plugged the drain with my finger and can confirm it is now water tight up to the top of the access port.
That’s a great video. I have removed the larger tray and resealed and still get a ton of water. Did you do the reseal and add the riser at the same time or separately? I’d hate to spend the money on the riser and keep having the same problem.

ImHowl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did the riser over the summer and it helped...but I was still getting water. Once I had the riser in, I filled the area with water and stuck my head in the access and still saw a lot of water leaking in from around the seals to the entire area. Once I pulled the boat out for the winter, I went ahead and pulled the entire access cover off and resealed.
Now I have zero leaks.
I recommend doing both at the same time. The access port riser has you install threaded nylock nuts on the end of machine screws. The fiberglass in the bilge area didn't leave enough room to fit the nuts, so I shaved it down some. This process would have been easier if I had the entire piece off, instead of fighting with it with just the access cover off.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
The actual bilge of the boat. You’ll also find that’s where the water box (muffler) is.

Water gets in there when you come off plane. That compartment is meant to be “wet storage” and it has a drain. The tubing for the drain runs down and exits near the waterline back by the jet pumps. There is no check valve on that tubing so when you come off plane water rushes up the tubing and dumps in your wet storage compartment. That is why you see water on top of the cleanout plugs.
Finally have an answer why the cleanout ports fill with water! I always thought pump pressure was bypassing the seals. The seals are lip seals and should seal better as the pressure increases. Thanks for answering this mystery for me.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
View attachment 170892
I haven't had any water get into the bilge area so far, but I still purchased the riser and will caulk around the main cover with 3M Marine Grade Sealant anyway. I now understand how the cleanout ports fill with water as well.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Finally have an answer why the cleanout ports fill with water! I always thought pump pressure was bypassing the seals. The seals are lip seals and should seal better as the pressure increases. Thanks for answering this mystery for me.
You could also have it come from a bad seal on the clean out ports as the video shows above., so it’s worth inspection your seal if you think they’re leaking. Water will also come in from the wet storage overflow/drain tube unless Yamaha has finally started putting check valves on it with newer boats.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s a great video. I have removed the larger tray and resealed and still get a ton of water. Did you do the reseal and add the riser at the same time or separately? I’d hate to spend the money on the riser and keep having the same problem.
Fab one up, DIY style, for ~$20-25. Not sure if yours is the same size as mine, but I'm damn near convinced I could have used the scraps and the adhesive to make the second layer, instead of buying 2 boards, and it would have been about half that cost. Might not be worth the hassle though, since they're only $7-10 each. Mine is also 1" thick, vs 3/4" thick.

IMG_20211001_125344401.jpg

IMG_20211001_125753960(1).jpg

IMG_20211001_134616425(1).jpg

IMG_20211001_145358655.jpg

IMG_20211010_134917522(1).jpg

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Fab one up, DIY style, for ~$20-25. Not sure if yours is the same size as mine, but I'm damn near convinced I could have used the scraps and the adhesive to make the second layer, instead of buying 2 boards, and it would have been about half that cost. Might not be worth the hassle though, since they're only $7-10 each. Mine is also 1" thick, vs 3/4" thick.

View attachment 170906

View attachment 170907

View attachment 170908

View attachment 170909

View attachment 170910
Nice job!