• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I'm done with the carpet...What should I fill the holes with?

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think I have removed and dried the carpet out for the last time. Next spring, I'm going to buy and install the Seadek but in the meantime, what should I use to fill the holes from the carpet snaps and will it look like crap? Should I just leave them in for now and take them out nex

3m 5200. Small tube will do your snaps AND stainless steel scupper!!!!

Remove them. You'll be happy you did. And no toes will be injured in the process

I am getting ready to tackle this project this weekend.

Will the 5200 expand or contract during the curing process?

I have read you really can't apply this with your finger...will a rubber glove do it? If not, what are the recommendations?

Also, I couldn't find the fast cure...if I give the holes only 24 hours to dry, will that be ok, if I am just going to cover them with new seadeck (or whatever we all bought last December)?

Thanks!!!

5200 keeps its shape and size while curing. It may shrink slightly but nothing noticeable. 5200 will still be sticky in 24 hours. You don't have to let it cure before sea-dek install. Fill them as you install.

5200 keeps its shape and size while curing. It may shrink slightly but nothing noticeable. 5200 will still be sticky in 24 hours. You don't have to let it cure before sea-dek install. Fill them as you install.

If you fill them, wipe it down with acetone, and then install. . . . what effect, if any with the acetone have on uncured 5200?

Turn the 5200 small tube upside down and slightly squeeze a small dab into the hole while holding it against the floor. Use the tube end to cut/scrape off the tit that will pull up as you pull the tube away. Done nice and neat! Respect the 5200..... Don't use more than you need, don't get it all over the place! Be neat and clean up yourself with acetone.

Don't worry about the claims of 5200 being permanent. Only in a few sandwich applications will it be permenant.

Acetone will have no effect. It flashes off with no residue.

Scrub your floor with acetone before you fill the holes.

Acetone will have no effect. It flashes off with no residue.

Scrub your floor with acetone before you fill the holes.

We can agree to disagree here. . . . Wiping down with acetone should be the very last thing you do IMHO to eliminate the possibility of (dust/pollen/dirt/oils from your skin/etc. . .) from landing on the surfaces between wipe down, 5200 application, and install.

We can agree to disagree here. . . . Wiping down with acetone should be the very last thing you do IMHO to eliminate the possibility of (dust/pollen/dirt/oils from your skin/etc. . .) from landing on the surfaces between wipe down, 5200 application, and install.
Technically, if you are OCD to the max, then yes this would be the absolute cleanest way. But, how much dirt and oil are you spreading while installing the Sea-Dek? The same amount while shooting a little 5200 into the holes. So it's a wash.

Thanks guys.

But, how much dirt and oil are you spreading while installing the Sea-Dek?

If the last thing you do is wipe with acetone, and you do not touch the surface section you're installing on the answer is NONE. And that is the point when you are talking about adhesion integrity.

Hell, I even wiped the back of the paper you peel off with acetone rag to remove any dust/oil before I taped it down. OCD is an understatement.

So if I understand, If I fill the holes now and install the Seadek next spring, I don't need to wipe the floor/holes with acetone but do it prior to installing the Seadek?

Correct. But, if you put acetone on your finger you'll be able to smooth the 5200 out fairly nice if you don't get it good enough with the tube.

Back