• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Im done with this tower!

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Some of you may remember from the "other board" that I had to have the gaskets that are between the tower and fiberglass replaced last winter after only one season of use. They had been moving around because of a violent lateral shake and move out of place which then causes cracking from the tower laying on them. The dealer replaced them this last winter and had said only one other 2011 AR240 had this same problem that they had dealt with. Well, again due to the violent shaking the gaskets are again moving and cracking.

I think I am nearly done with this tower and the crazy amount of wiggle this has, let a lone these gaskets needing replaced every season. I am thinking of having the fiberglass filled in and put a new tower of my choice in its place. It just kills me that a 2 season boat has these issues to a point where I am actually considering spending the money to get rid of something I paid for when I bought the boat. Lets face it, Yamaha is not going to do anything about this issue other than constantly replace the gaskets. Frustrating...

On to the fun part, if I do decide to do this has anyone done something similar? I wondering how good the holes can look if a qualified individual does the work. I thought I had seen someone do this but maybe its on the "other board". I am leaning towards a monster tower because I had one on my SX230 that collapsed below the windshield and it was solid as a rock. Although I love the forward swept towers if I could find an aftermarket version of one.

Aerial Freeride is a forward swept design that has been on my wish list for a while.

Here's one I've had on my wish list for awhile. Samson Blade. Folds forward on two gas struts.

Dblade-featured.jpg

I wonder what is different between your tower and the ones that don't do that?
I read about towers shaking but mine is Rock solid.

@Wayloncle I think the collapsible towers are a little more flimsy due to all the joints. Before putting the boat in the water every time I check all joints to make sure they are good and tight. Seems like the more weight I add to the tower for speakers and racks the more it moves. Correct me if I am wrong but I think your boat didn't have a collapsible tower.

My tower (wake designs) has movable joints that take the stress away from the mounts at the hull, when it starts shaking.

Yeah mine isn't foldable or anything, I was just wondering if there was something different with others like yours that didn't shake, or maybe they just don't notice it...

Have you used thread locker on the parts that don't need to rotate for folding? Do you fold the tower and if not, you could thread lock all connections.

@4x15mph All of the joints are tight, that is not the problem. The tower is actually shaking at the mounting points. I would expect it to be more rigid but I think the tower overall is just not very rigid in its lateral movement.

We replace them with a different gasket material. I have never had one come back after replaced with the different material.

@Williamsone46 Do you just cut your own or is this an OEM type replacement? I am guessing its a bit thicker than what is already there?

We buy it by the sheet and cut it or selves.

My 2012 ar the mounting bolts don't even tighten just spin but the tower seems to be sturdy. Should I be worried?

@Jeff Stickles Nope don't think so. Inside where the tower mounts to the boat the bolts sandwich around the fiberglass with a piece of plywood if I remember correctly. There is a nut inside you would probably have to hold to tighten them. My mounting points and tower is very tight its just the tower moves laterally so bad it causes the gaskets to move around let a lone one day if I hit a wake just right I am afraid it will just rip the fiberglass a part.

Anyone remove their tower all together? I have to fold mine at the end of the weekend to put it on the boat lift by removing the knobs. Not a big deal, but we never use our tower. When the girls tube I just hook it to the loop in the back. I would have to add a Bimini top though. Just not sure what I would do where the bolts go in.

@Jeff Stickles Nope don't think so. Inside where the tower mounts to the boat the bolts sandwich around the fiberglass with a piece of plywood if I remember correctly. There is a nut inside you would probably have to hold to tighten them. My mounting points and tower is very tight its just the tower moves laterally so bad it causes the gaskets to move around let a lone one day if I hit a wake just right I am afraid it will just rip the fiberglass a part.
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like a good solution to try...

Back