• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

I'm not going to post details...

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
... but let's just say yesterday was one of the most interesting boating days of my boating career. I left my boat while on the water for a period of time, thinking the people on it were clear on the situation. It was my mistake for not explaining exactly why I was leaving, when I expected to be back to my boat, and what to do if I didn't return at that time (which would have been - keep doing exactly what you're doing now... relaxing, listening to music, doing nothing but enjoy Saturday).

Let's just say I pose to the forum something for each boater to consider... leaving the keys in your boat if you leave it.

Do you? Should you? Obviously the answer varies every time you go out based on the situation.

I made the mistake of not even thinking about this... it never occurred to me someone might decide they know how to operate my boat and decide it was necessary to do so. Someone could have been seriously hurt or worse. It's a miracle there doesn't appear to by any damage to the persons on board or boat at all. The play by play of what happened blows my mind. The list would make every Yamaha owner that knows anything about Yamaha ownership cringe and shake..... every knowledgeable boat owner in general say "yeah, that's the situation we're all afraid of."

I learned a lesson yesterday.... actually, dodged a bullet is probably a better expression.

Like many other posts on the great Yamaha forums, I put this out to share an experience for the collective good of all conscientious, informed boaters.

Wishing everyone safe, happy boating!

Last edited:
I can tell you Alex, I wouldn't leave anyone with the keys, because they would only get them in big trouble! I have let both my son and my wife drive while I have been being pulled. That is a big risk too and without some instruction, they shouldn't be doing that either, because they could hit you! But a little open water training, and they should be able to do that, but anchoring, pulling up anchor and getting back to an anchorage, docking, rafting up, FORGET IT! Glad everyone was ok, and looking forward to the story if you care to share it! And hey, thanks for sharing it, because I probably would have done the same (leaving the keys in the ignition), not even considering that someone might try to drive it! But I wouldn't leave them the keys "just in case", at least I wouldn't if I remembered! Very good tip!

Keys come out of the ignition unless I plan to start the boat. I usually put them in the cup holder down by the throttles. Easy to get to but not as tempting.

Would love to hear the whole story when you calm down.

I'm not playing monday morning querterback here, just stating what I do. Keys & clip gets buried in glove box & shifter goes into rev mode. All people who are authorized to operate my boat know where the keys are and how to start / operate the boat. Assuming this wasn't an emergency, your friends have big brass ones.

Last edited:
Never really thought of it before. I always leave the keys in the ignition... may have to think about changing my ways. Can;t wait to hear more. We always learn things from each other and this is a good one.

I usually leave the keys in the ignition and the throttles in reverse.

Family trip coming up in a few weeks. I guess I'll need to think about leaving the keys in the ignition or not. Right now I unusually do with the throttles in neutral.

Why do some of you leave it in reverse?

I can only think of two reasons to move the throttles out of neutral. One...can't start the engines out of neutral. Two...reverse would fully block off the nozzle to keep kids hands or other things from getting into the jet nozzles as easy. Would this be the reason you do this @itsdgm ,@jawsf16 , and @Lawson2479 ? I can see an argument to do something like that, or remove the keys with kiddos around. It is the adults that might be the issue, as was mentioned! But a child could really get hurt or hurt many if they happened to go for a joy ride. So those are the reasons I can think of to remove the keys, remove the lanyard, or disable an easy start. Not having children in the house any longer, it hadn't dawned on me to even consider it, nor had it that an adult might actually try to move my boat!

I do it to keep kiddos from accidentally turning keys and cranking engines, the added benefit of reverse is that it blocks the nozzles from interested fingers. Sometimes I pull the lanyard too, mainly when the girls were younger or when we have younger kids around. Always leave the keys in the ignition though.

@txav8r those are exactly the reasons why I do put it in reverse. When the kids were younger my son loved tooting (or should I say quacking) the horn, but never would turn the keys. I figured that leaving the throttles in reverse would keep the engines from turning over if he ever did, if he got no response from the keys, he'd move onto the next switch. At that age, he wouldn't be able to move the throttles anyhow.

As far as any adults that I've had in my boat. I would always make sure that somebody else left behind always knew how to start and maneuver the boat. I'd never invite somebody that I couldn't trust with that. I'd hate to be stranded somewhere knowing that there's no way that help is coming because I intentionally disabled the boat. Usually that other person is my wife. But if it's a guys only trip, my friends would know how to operate it within the first hour. Because how else would I get to wakeboard? :D

I would not invite adults on board that I did not trust to operate the boat if needed and to be able to make the decision of whether it was needed.

But my concern for the safety of the boat is much lower than my concern for the people on board and that may effect my decision of who could operate the boat.

I expect that friends who only have experience with propped boats are more likely to cause scratches or other harm to my boat.

If you think back to when you were new to the Yamahas, and had read and studied, you at least knew the response time and what to expect...and were still surprised! Someone that doesn't know, is going to cause issues big time. We take folks all the time that have ZERO experience operating boats and I wouldn't attempt to teach them on a crash course between swimming, dinner, and returning for the evening. But I would offer them a seat at the helm enroute...just not anything else. Sure, in an emergency, who cares if the run it aground. But an inexperienced boater behind the helm of a Yamaha won't get help for you if you need it, they will just add to the total that need help more than likely. This is a good thread to consider all of this...

I do it to keep kiddos from accidentally turning keys and cranking engines, the added benefit of reverse is that it blocks the nozzles from interested fingers. Sometimes I pull the lanyard too, mainly when the girls were younger or when we have younger kids around. Always leave the keys in the ignition though.

Same here, except I never pull the lanyard. I usually have people that have zero experience out with us. I think my 11 and 9 year olds would freak if someone other than me or their mom went to start the boat. Though if I had to I feel I could trust my 11 yo because she has grew up around our boats and is experienced in low and high speed handling. We all know our boats steer funny. I had my father-in-law take the wheel while I was getting something out of storage in a no wake zone. He has owned pontoons for years but it took about 10 seconds before he told my wife to take over. He has drove it at higher speeds. But I do need to let him practice at low speed steering as a just in case.

I usually leave the keys in and pull the lanyard if I have any concern (small children around, going to open the cleanout ports, etc.). I haven't done the reverse throttle thing, but it think I will start.

Educational point though on having a plan, communicating it and making a backup plan and communicating that. I don't think I would ever leave my boat with someone I didn't think fully qualified to drive it. But if I do I will be sure to communicate to them the plan and the backup plan for if something goes wrong. And all passengers on my boat get a safety briefing on the life jackets, horn, extinguishers and radio. The last one could at least summon a constable if needed.

Back