• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impact of Cobra Venom Magnum AK Series on Wake Shape and Size

Vlad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm thinking about getting 2017 Yamaha 242X E-Series. From what I read, Cobra Venom Magnum AK Series seems like a very nice addition in order to improve steering. My question is whether these fins will alter the shape or size of the wake which would have negative impact on wake surfing?

When I spoke to my Yamaha dealer, he told me that he installed Thrust Vectors on his Yamaha and that totally messed up the wake. He had to take them off in order to wake surf. I believe that his boat was pre-articulating keel one. He also used different Thrust Vectors vs Cobra.

Does anyone have experience with this? I like improved maneuverability but I also want to wake surf. Also, what about Cobra Venum AK Fangs? Will they have an impact on wake surfing? Can think of 3 options: getting just fins, fins with fangs or neither.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No problem surfing with Cobras. I would get Cobra AKs with Fangs for a 2015+ 240/242 boat.

Surfing behind a jet boat is a but tricky - you will also need a Wake wedge, or a DIY surf flap, to smooth out the jet wash (fins or no fins).

--

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm picking up my 242x E-Series in a little more than two weeks and I'm looking forward to trying wake surfing behind it. In the 1.5 years these boats have been out, I don't recall anyone saying the fins & fangs have had an effect on the the wake. The biggest amounts of threads I've seen are on adding a Wake Wedge (which I will) to smooth out the top of the wash on the surf side and then add more weight on the surfing side.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
image.jpg I have the ultimate fins on my SX230, no issues creating a nice surfable wake behind my boat.