• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impeller and pump housings

Jason Kloehn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Help needed. I need to replace my impellers on my 2008 SX230 as well as the pump housings. Having a hard time finding exactly what to get. Also hearing a lot of mixed opinions on Solas, OEM or other aftermarket brands. Ideally I would like to just install something that I know will work without having to worry about adjusting the pitch or doing anything else differently. What's the best to use and wear do I buy it from basically.
Thanks

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would just buy OEM impellers, if you can wait until the season is over you can send your current impellers to be reconditioned,

why do you feel like you need to replace the housing ? do you have a picture of the housing we can see ?

have you ever checked your impeller cone bearing ? it's about time for it to be checked at least if not replaced as a precautionary measure

Jason Kloehn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No idea what the condition of the cone bearing is. Where would that be located?
I just assumed the housing should be replaced too being that old and since I had it apart already. Impellers are beat up pretty bad along the edges.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The cone will be opposite of the impeller shaft--the other side. Should be held in place with (3? 4?) hex bolts. When you pull those off, you will find an o-ring seal you are supposed to replace, so I would order that part first before you pull it off. Just pull the hex bolts and give the cone a tug and it will come off. If the grease inside is whitish-yellow color, that signals water infiltration--replace the grease and seal and check again soon. If the grease is a golden-yellow color, rather translucent, it is wonderful. Replace the seals, add some grease if it looks like it needs it and you are probably good for a few years.

Do you have a photo of the impellers? I cleaned mine up quite successfully with a pliers and a file. Not perfect, but they worked much, much better and are still that good today (apparently I drive better now than I did when I first got it or something). My saga: https://jetboaters.net/threads/yait-yet-another-impeller-thread.18785/

Also be sure to look at the rings. You will see there evidence if the impellers are scraping it... So photos of those would be good, too.

Jason Kloehn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The cone will be opposite of the impeller shaft--the other side. Should be held in place with (3? 4?) hex bolts. When you pull those off, you will find an o-ring seal you are supposed to replace, so I would order that part first before you pull it off. Just pull the hex bolts and give the cone a tug and it will come off. If the grease inside is whitish-yellow color, that signals water infiltration--replace the grease and seal and check again soon. If the grease is a golden-yellow color, rather translucent, it is wonderful. Replace the seals, add some grease if it looks like it needs it and you are probably good for a few years.

Do you have a photo of the impellers? I cleaned mine up quite successfully with a pliers and a file. Not perfect, but they worked much, much better and are still that good today (apparently I drive better now than I did when I first got it or something). My saga: https://jetboaters.net/threads/yait-yet-another-impeller-thread.18785/

Also be sure to look at the rings. You will see there evidence if the impellers are scraping it... So photos of those would be good, too.
Thanks for the info! I will get a better look and take some pics.