• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Impellers difference 2011-14 and 2015 up

Philip

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone know why the impellers are two different pitches on 2011-14 242s and the same for 2015 and up?

As I understand it, Yamaha used to outfit their twin engine boats with offset pitched impellers to account for the efficiency differences in the port and starboard pumps. That is, one side (I don’t know which) is more efficient at taking in water than the other because of the way the hull is angled compared to the rotation of the impellers since both impellers spin in the same direction. By offsetting the impeller pitches the engines should be at the same rpm throughout the throttles range and therefore the boat should track in a straight line instead of drifting to one side or the other. By analogy offsetting the impeller pitches is like getting a front end alignment on a car. In 2015 Yamaha stopped the offset impeller practice with no explanation as to why, I think it was a cost cutting measure but unless the boat’s ECM somehow adjusts the rpm of one of the engines to account for the last of offset impellers one engine should always be spinning at a different rpm than the other throughout the throttles ranges.

Note: if you purchase aftermarket impellers you buy the same impeller for both sides but have one pitched slightly differently than the other, I think the pitch difference is only 1.5 degrees.

Hmmm I know the hull was redesigned in 15. Maybe that was reason. I have a 16 242 Lse and rpms are exactly same. I have a set of impellers I had refinished for my 11 but sold and thought I could use until I seen difference.

Back